·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
I have been reading all these threads about shift kits, blah blah blah

Well heres one American Muscle had just came out with...

Performance Automatic Street/Strip Shift Kit (96-04 GT, V6, Mach 1) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

What do you guys think on the price and quality.

Just thought I would bring this up since its been boring on here and we could use a nice discussion
i dunno if the price is good, but thanks for the link...i'll be ordering that in a few paydays...anything to help my car last longer as a DD

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Under the car lol... I personally have never installed one but my buddy just says the springs can be a pain.. Took him 2 hours or so on his first time

I dont think the 80 price is horrible. Seems prices can be better elsewhere though

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
though prices always look good when below 100 though lol. But on installation, are you basically opening the bottom of the trany up? there needs to be a write up some where on how to install.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea you gotta pull the pan... I know he was capable of doing it on jacks not too much off of the ground.

Theres a write up somewhere but not on AM :(

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Yea you gotta pull the pan... I know he was capable of doing it on jacks not too much off of the ground.

Theres a write up somewhere but not on AM :(
i dunno where it's at...although ill just ask my friend Derrick to help...He's done it before and i'd like to learn how to do this first hand so that's my best bet...

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
lets see, AM says about 3 hours to install. Is that about the time it would take for a professional, cause if i do that, I might as well stick a GT rear end on and suck it up and pay labor.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lets see, AM says about 3 hours to install. Is that about the time it would take for a professional, cause if i do that, I might as well stick a GT rear end on and suck it up and pay labor.
Considering my buddy did it in a tad over 2 hours his first time, I think just about anyone with some common knowledge would be able to as well.:dunno

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
They aren't fun... thats for sure :p

·
Registered
487 Posts
its been about 3-4 years since i installed the transgo kit.. remove a couple of bolts on one end or corner of the trans and let the fluid drain, then remove the pan. then you remove the bolts holding the valve body on, might have a sensor to unplug (dont remember). it will have more fluid in it. remove one spring at a time and replace it so you dont get them mixed up. also, there is like 8 black balls in the vb, be careful not to lose them and keep them in the right spot(the directions should show where they go just incase). i know on mine, i had to drill out a couple of holes and make them a tad bigger but you may not have to on this kit. clean the valvebody out/off with some brake/carb cleaner(you can do this when you get it out, just clean it out at some point before reinstalling), then you will use one of those separator plates. reinstall. fill back up with the correct amount of trans fluid, go through the gears manually and make sure they engage properly. recheck trans fluid. hopefully this helps. this is similar to my kit. http://www.transgo.com/kit_images/SK AODE-4R70W.jpg

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i think that kit on AM is just a simple mod similar to the j-mod

the reason im more interested in tansgo is because you can hold any gear to any rpm...so id like to manually shift out of 2nd gear because my tranny shift too early if i dont.

i still think it will hurt your tranny by manually shifting with that AM kit

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts

the reason im more interested in tansgo is because you can hold any gear to any rpm...so id like to manually shift out of 2nd gear because my tranny shift too early if i dont.

Yea over time it could hurt your tranny because of the extra heat your tranny would take.

Now if your serious about it you could just grab a trans cooler to keep the temp down and you would be fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i heard the B&M shift kit is the way to go, and it was right in the same price range, i called a few shops around town and the average price was at 500. Which is keeping me away from this mod, since i do not want to **** **** up. I wish the guy doing the JMODS would still do it, i emailed him but he didnt seem interested in doing the work anymore.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts

where does it shift out of 2nd?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
where does it shift out of 2nd?
alright for some reason 2nd shifts at the stock redline. my handheld tuner cant seem to change this. ive had this issue with my stock car too before i even got it dynod.

1st shift at 6500 and 2nd at 5250.

once im in 2nd gear, i slide it from D into 2 and then shift it back into D at around 6.2k

·
Registered
487 Posts
alright for some reason 2nd shifts at the stock redline. my handheld tuner cant seem to change this. ive had this issue with my stock car too before i even got it dynod.

1st shift at 6500 and 2nd at 5250.

once im in 2nd gear, i slide it from D into 2 and then shift it back into D at around 6.2k
your tuner should change the shift points.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts