Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since a T-5 is way way off in the future and I'm stuck with this AOD trans, I was thinking of getting a shift kit.

I'm not sure on how they work and what not so if you have any links on that let me know, and also how hard are they to install. Can I do it in my garage with no specialty tools? And also can you guys recommend some shift kits, like I said I don't know much about them and what I've looked up so far I wanna make sure I do this right.

Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
when i got my AODE rebuilt, i asked them to put in a shift kit. Since I didn't do it myself, i cant explain the install or anything.
BUT! what they basically do is make shifts harder and faster. they do NOT change shift points though because they don't involve the computer or electronics at all. Definitely worth it though. the difference is night and day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Several years ago I installed a transgo shift kit in a old aod . It was a little tedious but not to bad. Did it in my garage with jack stands. Shifts were much improved. If I was to do it again I would just buy a after market valve body.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Trans Go AOD-HP kit is IMO the best on the market. It also comes with a high upshift govener kit that raises the shift points also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Transgo in mine and it shifts like a beast, breaks 2nd gear loose at full throttle. If you're keeping your AOD I would suggest it.

I don't feel like fighting my early shifting anymore so I'm putting a 5 spd in next month.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm bringing up a dead post, but I'm thinking about upgrading my my AOD-E Tranny and I'm still trying to figure out the differences in the valve body and shift kits. Any help would be great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts