Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i notice that my car doesn't go into gear real easy when I am getting on it for some reason or another and I was wondering what a good shift kit is and how much for the install about?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
You must have a different definition of "shift kit" than I do, as what I understand to be a shift kit is for automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well a friend of mine was telling me to get some kit that would help me shift....like it would just slip into gear with ease to help shifting and there would be no forcing it. I just thought of this as a shift kit.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
My suggestion would be to get an aftermarket shifter (such as a pro 5.0 or steeda tri-ax), and swap your transmission fluid for Redline.

I'm also assuming you have a T45?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Hurst shifter in it so maybe its the fluid? Ill have to check that out. Will that really make that much of a difference?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I haven't done the fluid in the Cobra yet, but it was night and day in my RWD Corolla.

EDIT: if you have a T45, they're known for grinding into gear, especially if you shift quickly.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
is your car a stick and what year is it? well what ever year it is if you are in the market for a shifter buy a MGW which is far better than any other shifter out there and is available for all the mustang trannys from the fox body all the way up.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
is your car a stick and what year is it? well what ever year it is if you are in the market for a shifter buy a MGW which is far better than any other shifter out there and is available for all the mustang trannys from the fox body all the way up.

You may like and prefer the MGW but don't start saying things like its better than any other shifter. The tri-ax is a very good shifter, and I would argue alot better on the t-45 than the MGW. I have had 2 buddies throw out their MGW's for Tri-ax's. As far as having problems going into gear, is it actualy grinding or is it just hard to go in, like are you having to put alot of force behind it to get it into gear?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to buy an MGW but I heard Hurst was very comparable so I dont see myself spending money on something I already have for a minor upgrade.
Tonight I took it out with my friends camaro and everytime I go into 3rd it takes an extra split second to force it in. Doesn't grind just takes a lot of force like it doesnt want to go in. Has been that way since before the old clutch went out and since I bought it basically. The rest of the gears are fine its just 3rd and dont think its a synchro but idk??

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
There isn't a shift kit for the manuals. You can buy an upgraded synchro kit and have it put in. I would change the fluid out and inspect it for metal shavings. I reccomend royal purple synchromesh.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much would an upgraded synchro kit cost? I know jack about tranny's and it seems like any transmission work costs an arm and a leg so how much for a kit and install about?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also i just got a new clutch about 500 miles ago so shouldnt it have new fluid?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
also i just got a new clutch about 500 miles ago so shouldnt it have new fluid?

No you don't have to drain the fluid to do a clutch. Alot of shops with a good lift and tranny jack will just move it down and out and never empty the fluid. You would have seen it on your bill if they had done a fluid change. The synchros installed are gonna cost a couple hundred I am sure. I would start with the fluid and work your way from there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my bill on additional stuff says xt*m5*qs fluid - transmission and xt*5*qmc fluid - transmission so it sounds like they changed it.

Would synchro's be classified a "lubricated" part or a "maintence" part because i have a full warranty so I might just have them fix it now if it will be covered.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I doubt they are messed up since it doesn't grind. The upgraded ones would be just more for easier shifts. Doubt they would cover the upgrade.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so its just normal then? I may have to look into getting new upgraded synchros then because i can't race the way they are now and i baby my car 99% of the time so when i do get on it i dont like missing 3rd. When you said a couple hundred did you mean actually a couple or close to 500 to a grand?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
So it does it with the old shifter as well? I wouldn't say its normal but sometimes the synchros will keep you from getting into third as fast as you want. Carbon fiber synchros will help with that. They should run less than 500 installed depending on your local tranny guy and what his labor rate is. But again. I wouldn't say its normal because I have driven lots of t-45's and never had the problem that you are talking about. If I am understanding it right.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the car with this shifter in it. After my clutch went out I thought it might have been a clutch problem but tonight it was the same as before it went out. They had to remove it to do my clutch so they put it back together so it should be aligned right. I was going to save for some go fast goodies but might just go for the synchros now cause power is pointless if I miss 3rd. For future reference....where is a good place to get em from online?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
D&D, Promotion. Most of them will have em. I am not so sure its not your shifter though. Never ran a hurst for a late model car. Never know though. I would find a stock shifter and give it a try, see if its the same. if its not then there you go.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
+1 on D&D, Doc

I have the T-3650, and I had a Steeda that I bought from D&D. While it was an improvement over stock. It was no where as good as the MGW that is in the car now. I have no issues grabbing any gears. The only thing that I could bitch about is that while downshifting into 1st takes some effort. Who cares about that though. Up shifting is phenomenal

1 - 20 of 32 Posts