Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing my shifter and the stud snapped in half, i'm curious to know what the dealer calls this part or a part no. so i can get a new one.

or if anyones selling could I buy it off you?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
That part only comes with the entire shifter. It's easy to fix though. Put the whole linkage rod in a vise, take a grinder and completely grind off the stud flat to the linkage rod. Drill and tap the rod and install a 5/16'' piece of all thread. Loctite it in and use a new 5/16'' nut when reinstalling the rod to the transmission.

Reactions: icon

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try that this week, but if that fails does anyone know where i could order one up?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hate to say it but as stated before ford only sells them with the shifter as a whole unite. Get this, ford wanted $300 for the stock shifter when i just needed the shift linkage. :no

You best bet is to call your local junkyard

·
Registered
818 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I put my triax on...lucky for me it was still under warranty and the dealer hooked me up with a new shifter.

·
MM's Resident Ginger
2,991 Posts
wouldn't a new STS be a fix? i dunno what all comes with them...

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
wouldn't a new STS be a fix? i dunno what all comes with them...
Nope.

That part only comes with the entire shifter. It's easy to fix though. Put the whole linkage rod in a vise, take a grinder and completely grind off the stud flat to the linkage rod. Drill and tap the rod and install a 5/16'' piece of all thread. Loctite it in and use a new 5/16'' nut when reinstalling the rod to the transmission.
Anthony is exactly right. I broke mine a couple of months earlier as well. I did the same thing Anthony said to do. NewTakeOff.com has factory shifters for $50 with the linkage.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine did the same thing when I put my triax on...lucky for me it was still under warranty and the dealer hooked me up with a new shifter.
how did you tell them that you broke it, or what did you say/do to get it replaced?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
had that problem when i changed my shifter from B&M to Hurst, snapped the thread off, had to buy a whole new stock shifter, $400, just to get the new linkage.

with that said, I wish they had this website up when I broke it, I would have saved $200 but here ya go bro

Mustang GT Shift Linkage 2005-2008 Manual Transmission

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
you have a V6??

and also the linkage's are the same on V6s and GTs, they're not a straight design, there is a bend in them. the bend is the connected to transmission end

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
You are correct icon. The GT and V6 S197 do not share the same manual transmission. They do however share the same automatic, the 5R55S.

The manual GT carries the Tremec 3650.

The manual V6 carries the Tremec T-5.

·
Registered
818 Posts
how did you tell them that you broke it, or what did you say/do to get it replaced?
The stealership I went to was pretty cool. I just told them that I was putting a short throw on and noticed the stud was broken on the linkage. Apparently its pretty common, so they ordered me up a new one, no questions asked. I just brought them in my old shifter/linkage.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont know if it helps you any. But I have a stock shifter for an S197 sitting in my garage.
if it includes the linkage part that i broke, i may buy it (after i go to the dealer to see if they will warranty it)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts