Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm trying to hone down my ET to at least somewhat average. Now I haven't been in about a month and I'm looking to head back. Now the only thing that has changed is a 70MM TB. So my question to you guys is, what would be the best shift point rpm wise?

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
in the 99-04 gts i was always told that the 1-2 shift was good at 6k and well pop right back into our power band. then in the 2-3 ive heard right around 5500 then 3-4 around 5300.

Correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
cant really say a specific shift point. it all depends on your mods, and your shifting ability. If you feel the car flat spotting, you've waited too long to shift. the sweet spot to shift is right at the flat spot, shift too early or too late your out of the power band.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i have heard 6200 or 6300... i havent tried it. but my buddy with just axles, 4.10s, and a shifter ran a 12.9 and runs 13.0 consistantly shifting at 6200

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
depends on your mods. without enough mods or tune, these cars fall hard after 5600. every car has its own personality and driving style will be a difference too. i **** around 5400-5600 w/o my n/a tune. with my n/a tune run to 6100. doc can jump in my car, run the same times i do with a lower mph. his driving style is totally different. we have different shift points, launching styles, etc. no matter what way we run my car, the results are always the same. exact same et, he runs lower mph.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ford recommends that you shift at 5500rpm with slightly modified cars. i shift at the 5500 mark and it runs great for me. It all depends on the driver shift ability and most importantly if your cars in its power band or not. ive gone too far before and you def feel the nose drop. just try a couple shift points and see which one works for you and your car.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
depends on your mods. without enough mods or tune, these cars fall hard after 5600. every car has its own personality and driving style will be a difference too. i **** around 5400-5600 w/o my n/a tune. with my n/a tune run to 6100. doc can jump in my car, run the same times i do with a lower mph. his driving style is totally different. we have different shift points, launching styles, etc. no matter what way we run my car, the results are always the same. exact same et, he runs lower mph.

**** man... thats some helpful stuff irght there...Im gonna try shifting at 5500 now and see if it works a little

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
go to a dyno shop and get a dyno, see where the torque peaks at and set it at the highest torque rating

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
my car peaks and drops like a chevy off a cliff by 5100 rpm. I shift at 5700 and run quicker that way than shifting at 5100-5300.
+1 The PI motor is best shifted at aroung 6K. If you are really concerned about losing too much power, the only gear I would short is 3-4, and I wouldn't shift any sooner then 5800 anyways. But 1-2 & 2-3 shifts should be done at 6K to get the most out of your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts