Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby made her first mile today!!!

Okay, I have one big issue though. The tranny is a 4-speed top loader from a 1969 Mach 1 that was completely rebuild in december by my father. Using a crescent wrench, it will cycle through all the gears fine. However, when I put the shifter on it (Hurst, original with the tranny), it shifts through all the forward gears with no problems, but if I put it in reverse, I'm done. It will go into reverse and come out, but you can't go into any gears after that, even back to reverse. I have to break the linkage loose and reset it all. I'm pretty sure its an issue with the shifter/linkage, but I wanted to get the opinion of some more knowledgeable persons before I dropped the money on a new shifter.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks MustangOne, I did a dozen google searches last night, and found nothing remotely helpful. After your post, I googled "install hurst shifter drill bit" (go figure) and found one useful result, a very thorough install on a chevy muncie trans.

P177863 Image Large Photo 1

I don't suppose anyone has a link to install instructions for a top loader? Looks like I will be completely ripping it all loose again tomorrow and trying this again using the Camaro walkthrough as a rough guide.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I was really looking for was a diagram to show which order and orientation to hook up the linkage, since the linkage can be adjusted so that the bar is above or below the metal plate that attaches to the transmission. If anyone else ever finds themselves needing such information, summit has install instructions for different shifter kits online. Search for the hurst install kit for your transmission, then you can download a pdf with an exploded view to help with the orientation of the linkage.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. Everything is oriented the proper way. I used the drill bit to lock the shifter in neutral, and it was a lot easier to hook up. The problem is much less noticable, but it still gets stuck in no man's land sometimes. I noticed that even when the drill was holding the shifter still, the linkage had alot of play in it (like side to side and back and forth). Would a rebuild kit (I guess this would have new bushings) solve my problem, or am I looking at new linkage?

Thanks guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts