Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I have a tri-ax shifter which has been rattling for a while in 2nd but more 3rd and 4th when i get on it towards upper rpm's any suggestion?

I checked and tightened the handle and when i put my hand on it it stills vibrates pretty good while under hard accel.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Do you still have the little washer that sits in there and appears to do absolutely nothing? That may be it, also make sure the stopper bolts/nuts are tightened. Beyond that, the thing is noisy. You have to remove one of the rubber insulators to install it, so its gonna be louder than stock. Just make sure you're good on trans fluid and check the 2 things I mentioned.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well i have checked everything re tightened everything and the shifter still rattles at high rpm. I noticed the shifter has a lot of play even when in gear it still has some loose play i can move it from side to side while in gear. Any suggestions? maybe if i put some grease down there think it might remedy the noise? think it just might be the bad throw out bearing? the noise is driving me nuts!

·
Banned
491 Posts
steeda tri-ax for the loss... pro5.0 or go home.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
There's absolutely no play in my shifter with the Tri-ax. I don't think this is a problem with your shifter, I'm thinking its something in your transmission.

·
Registered
310 Posts
^ +1. I'm thinking its something else besides the shifter.
Ive had absolutely zero problems with my Triax (I dont get why everyone hates on it). When you installed your triax did you put in the factory rubber boot as well or not (even though the directions say it's optional)? also the damper pad?
could this maybe be chatter caused by increased load near peak power? Mine moves a little bit but its much less than the stick shake that the factory shifter has.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^yea all I did was replace the shifter and reinstalled everything, I have had this shifter for about 2 years now and only now I am experiencing this problem other than that I like the shifter myself.

well i got to thinking and i am wondering if either A) the plastic cup deteriorated or B) when my clutch was replaces the cup was lost some how or wasn't replaced. I'm thinking its the plastic cup.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
well i have checked everything re tightened everything and the shifter still rattles at high rpm. I noticed the shifter has a lot of play even when in gear it still has some loose play i can move it from side to side while in gear. Any suggestions? maybe if i put some grease down there think it might remedy the noise? think it just might be the bad throw out bearing? the noise is driving me nuts!
have you tried making sure you've got the handle bolts tight??

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I have a bad throw out bearing, and after a while it began to have a fairly distinctive rattle. Can you get a video or recording of the noise you are hearing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
having the same problem with my 94 gt.. only in 5th gear, once i get to about 85-90mph it goes nuts. transmission is brand new and so it the short shifter.. dont know what to do!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
mines loud but I replaced shifter bushing and it seems firmer

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow old thread, I've replaced every bushing I could think of and it still rattles, Only thing I haven't tried yet, aside from dropping the transmission, is another shifter like an MGW to see if its the shifter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts