Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tremec 3550 in my 94 gt with a steeda triax. at high rpms my shifter seems to rattle. all i have to do i put my hand on the shifter and it stops. whats causing this

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i haven't yet but i put them in good and put lock tight on them...i was told that tremecs have that reputation but im not sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar problem years ago in my old 93 lx and it turned out to be my pilot bearing. Ended up doing a whole clutch while I was in there and the problem went away. It was bad I could feel it not just in the shifter but the car had the vibration as well. Once I replaced everything though it was good to go.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ya a pilot bearing wouldnt stop when you grab the shifter, i would double check the shifer bolts they have a rep for coming loose at least for me they did.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
my 3550/pro5.0 setup doesn't do it but I have poly trans/engine mounts and the trans is shimmed up as high as possible so the pinion angle is best

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
check the plastic bushing that sits on the ball that goes into the trans

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
check the plastic bushing that sits on the ball that goes into the trans
this could be but also depending what shifter you have the bushings inside wear out on some. (hurst is the worst)

·
Registered
287 Posts
you would feel the driveshaft all the time not just in high rpm and it wouldnt stop when he put his hand on the shifter

·
Registered
347 Posts
Adding to this old topic, noticed today my trans and whole car is shaking also it's only in 4th and 5th mostly from 68mph and up it's making a sound like a worn out wheel bearing would makes kind of a vibration and a hum, could this be a pilot bushing? Driveshaft seems fine, still have to change my fluid this weekend but just want to figure this out before it gets bad and more stuff wears out, also how hard is this to change and should I get the parts through tremec or is there another website that sells tremec components if this is the case it's 3550.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts