Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but my search skills must lack. The question I have, is lately I've been popping it in "N" at stop lights and when I expect to be stopped for a period of time then when it turns green just pop it in "D" let it engage and head off on my merry way. I'm simply just trying to squeeze a few MPG out of my tank, but the question I have, is how hard is it on the tranny? I'd put it in park but don't want to look like the idiot who flashes reverse lights while headed to park, haha. "N" Works just fine. Thanks.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
It's not hard on the tranny. All of us with manuals have to go into neutral at stop lights :p (whether it be my pressing the clutch or actually shifting to neutral)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
as long as you wait for it to engage back into D before you step on the gas, i dont see why not

·
Registered
977 Posts
From the way you described it, no. You're not neutral dropping it so there should not be any problems. Now if you said you revved it up a bit before going then yes there would be problems and most of us would be yelling at you left and right.

_

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
now heres something you shouldnt do. sometimes i manually shift my car out of 2nd gear because if it shifts too early in drive.

so i keep it in D then when it gets into 2nd gear, i put it on 2 and then shift at 6500 back into D:p. thats not that bad on the transmission because im not actually downshifting....

but the other day i had my hand on the shifter with the button pressed ready to drop it in 2nd as soon as it got out of 1st, and my car shifts hard as hell on 1-2 so since i had the button down, my shifter moved from D to N just because of how hard the car jerks on the 1-2. i hit 7k rpm in neutral:D

so i think youll be ok:eek:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, I've never driven my car crazy, I got all that out of my system in my pick up trucks. I know I'm not very fast, so I don't try to be. I bought this car for a stylish and comfortable A to B car. No reason to make a jack ass of myself peeling out with one tire fires everywhere. :p

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Lol, I've never driven my car crazy, I got all that out of my system in my pick up trucks. I know I'm not very fast, so I don't try to be. I bought this car for a stylish and comfortable A to B car. No reason to make a jack ass of myself peeling out with one tire fires everywhere. :p
sounds like you need the 2 tire fire mod then:p

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe two more cylinder mod too :eek:

Another question, Sometimes when I'm driving instead of coasting with my foot off the pedal I'll pop it in neautral and coast with no engine power what so ever. Then as you all know, sometimes lights change and you need to put it back in gear, so I take it from "N" to "D" let it engage and then keep rolling. I never go past 45 in town, 45 is max speed limit lol.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Maybe two more cylinder mod too :eek:

Another question, Sometimes when I'm driving instead of coasting with my foot off the pedal I'll pop it in neautral and coast with no engine power what so ever. Then as you all know, sometimes lights change and you need to put it back in gear, so I take it from "N" to "D" let it engage and then keep rolling. I never go past 45 in town, 45 is max speed limit lol.
You do know that our cars shut off the injectors when coasting and the car is turning the engine right? When coasting like that in gear you'll be using 0 fuel vs. neutral where your car is using fuel to keep itself idling.

It's super obvious when this happens if you have an Air/Fuel gauge.

Reactions: SON1C

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
You do know that our cars shut off the injectors when coasting and the car is turning the engine right? When coasting like that in gear you'll be using 0 fuel vs. neutral where your car is using fuel to keep itself idling.

It's super obvious when this happens if you have an Air/Fuel gauge.
reps

·
Registered
140 Posts
i do this all the time every time i drive my 6'er always do it lol. sometimes instead of dropping it into D i drop it into 2nd go like up to 30? then drop it into D easier on the engine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ever since youve posted this ive been shifting in nuetral and revving it at stoplights.. haha i feel cool i guess, anyways, could it be bad for my car if i shift back to drive when the rpm is still up??

·
Registered
477 Posts
ever since youve posted this ive been shifting in nuetral and revving it at stoplights.. haha i feel cool i guess, anyways, could it be bad for my car if i shift back to drive when the rpm is still up??
very bad and dont do that...you could kill your tansmission faster like that

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
I used to do that ... i was a dumb ass ... yup yup
Stock tires, open diff. Yeah it wasn't bad. 3k N drop. and some braking and you could spin one tire all night long :p. Get some serious smoke clouds like that.

Upgraded to 285/35/18s in the back, even on an open diff. Tried it again. Broke 6 teeth off my spider gears... This is why I have an 8.8 tlok w/ 3.73s now. cost alot more than just buying a tlok and gears for the 7.5 ....
But its just as easy to punch the gas and brake quickly as it is to neautral drop it ...

So let the lesson be learned ... dont ****ing do it ! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts