Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about this. I have been doing it for a while now. Does it mess anything up. I just use the clutch to leave then shift into second with out using the clutch. I wait till the RPM's are down and it goes right in. Then into third and so on. It goes in smooth and everything. Of couse when I want to go fast I use the clutch. Just wondering if it will mess anything up.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the very first cars that were made people would only use the clutch to leave then shift with out using the clutch. What's the differance with today's vehicles.

I think it will save my clutch becuase I will be using it less.

I don't downshift this way. I use the clutch when down shifting

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
the very first cars had different types of transmissions than modern cars do.

our transmission gears are syncro'd

you might be saving your clutch life a little bit but like I said.. all it takes is one good slip up and you will be picking up transmission teeth off the ground.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Well the very first cars that were made people would only use the clutch to leave then shift with out using the clutch. What's the differance with today's vehicles.

I think it will save my clutch becuase I will be using it less.

I don't downshift this way. I use the clutch when down shifting
I promise you, that replacing a clutch after 80,000+ miles is far cheaper than needing to replace a gearset and sychros. Use the clutch. If your worried about clutch life... then maybe an automatic would suit you better?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
thats called powershifting, it really doesnt harm anything, ive done it for years, but you gotta find the right RPMs to shift it at or you will do some damage

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Powershifting is not letting off the gas and shifting at the same time. Using the clutch very fast.

When I shift without using the clutch is under very slow conditions. Just take off bring Rpm's to about 3000 then let off and pull it into second just as the RPM's reach about 2000 then give more gas to about 2800 then let off and put er in 3rd gear. It is under light accleration. Give it a try the gear goes in smooth as can be but you have to do it just right. You will get a hang of it. I don't do it all the time but most the time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
direct quote from that link

shuddering then so be it...you wanted to powershift...Depending on how you do...eventually you work up to true powershifting...which is shifting at redline or powerpeak with your right foot mashed to the floor and just shooting your clutch foot in and out and banging the shifter back...

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.