Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i got a brand new 13 gt manual. 600 miles on it and I have the Barton shifter and Barton bracket from day one I can't shift fast going to second gear it's like a wall then goes into gear is this happening to others? On YouTube with the testing of the steeda shifter he's shifting perfect throughout all gears and goin fast. This only happens goin to second btw

·
Registered
832 Posts
Personally I would have waited for the transmission to "break in" before installing the Barton. I know some people had it butter smooth from Day 1 but most of us didn't and usually it will soften up after 1000 miles or so.

Some people solved the problem by changing the transmission fluid and some (Jdos I think) ended up getting a new transmission.

These transmission are a bit..."picky" in the beginnng. I remember when I got it, it was notchy and I thought I had the grinding problem some guys were having on youtube. One of the Ford mechanics told me these new transmissions don't work so well in the cold weather, you just need to warm up the car and it should get smoother.

It's been a year since I had the car and it shifts smooth even in the winter. Just keep driving the car and you will be fine.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Yep, one already, working towards another, though I'll have to give it to 'em, this one has lasted significantly longer. :p

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ik I should of but It was so hard to resist. I don't do a lot of far driving so It would of tool a year to get to like 3k. So guess my best bet is to wait it out and go from there. And while I'm on here future I would ask I have a jlt intake and off road x and mufflers I don't know wat to do for the next power mod. Iv decided on 3.73 but idn what els bc I'm torn on the boss 302 intake bc I don't do a lot of highway Driving

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Skip the intake, get the 3.73's first and go from there. I'm sure you'll find it to be a big difference.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ik I should of but It was so hard to resist. I don't do a lot of far driving so It would of tool a year to get to like 3k. So guess my best bet is to wait it out and go from there. And while I'm on here future I would ask I have a jlt intake and off road x and mufflers I don't know wat to do for the next power mod. Iv decided on 3.73 but idn what els bc I'm torn on the boss 302 intake bc I don't do a lot of highway Driving
Just depends what your goal is. Do you have a tune? I am guessing you do since you have jtl intake and the xpipe.

Get some quality headers.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yep, one already, working towards another, though I'll have to give it to 'em, this one has lasted significantly longer. :p
Just curious, why do you think your tranny keep breaking? dang...I feel like you are wanting another one before the warranty runs out.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Just curious, why do you think your tranny keep breaking? dang...I feel like you are wanting another one before the warranty runs out.
Because they're Chinese made ****. haha I'm fairly certain the "new" one they put in was leftover from a 2011 batch. Any way, the new one with the barton single post bracket, after 15k miles or so started back developing a whine and getting very rough. Swapped back out to the factory bracket and everything almost smoothed out and of course whining wasn't being transferred to the cabin due to the absorbent rubber bushing. Now it's starting to get rough shifting again, even on warm days.
Of course I want another before warranty is out, I don't want this one to take a **** on me like my last one did once I hit that 60k mark.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Yeah bama tune headers are ridiculous money plus the install is a learning experience.
There I fixed your sentence for you. :banana

·
Registered
133 Posts
Im at 150 miles and i haven't had any trouble with 2nd gear, it is just a very direct feeling transmission, some mistake notchy as "bad" but honestly with my mgw, it feels alot like the t6060 in my buddys zl1

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah bama tune headers are ridiculous money plus the install a bitch
Tell me about the install....just did mine last Sat. I know a shop really well and they offered to do it for 200 so....if you can get a good deal. But yeah good headers are expensive but you don't lose the low end torque like you do with the Boss 302 intake.

There I fixed your sentence for you. :banana
hahahahahah! You know it is a learning experience. It just sucks if your car is a DD and you lack tools. Luckily, despite my car being a DD, I had a good number of friends mechanically inclined who had tools. I think we ended up making ONE trip to home depot for header nuts and we didn't even end up using them.

Jdos1,

I am surprised you are keeping your stang even with your tranny problem. I feel like a lot of peope would switch saying Ford sucks and blah blah blah.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
hahahahahah! You know it is a learning experience. It just sucks if your car is a DD and you lack tools. Luckily, despite my car being a DD, I had a good number of friends mechanically inclined who had tools. I think we ended up making ONE trip to home depot for header nuts and we didn't even end up using them.

Jdos1,

I am surprised you are keeping your stang even with your tranny problem. I feel like a lot of peope would switch saying Ford sucks and blah blah blah.
lol you went to HD for the nuts? o_O

I learned with my Titan. 4x4 Titans are the absolute worst thing to put LT's in. The front differential made access to the drivers side a complete bitch. I helped a buddy of mine install his LT's on his 07 and it was honestly a piece of cake in comparison.

Eh, I absolutely love my car other than the trans. I've got a permanant fix for that in the future though. T56 XL. That's definitely going to happen but it'll be a few years. I plan on buying a house before doing that. I'm tired of renting an apt and driving 2 hours home when I wanna do something more than basic since all of my tools and my shop is back there. I just need this or another new/rebuilt trans to last that long. lol

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Im at 150 miles and i haven't had any trouble with 2nd gear, it is just a very direct feeling transmission, some mistake notchy as "bad" but honestly with my mgw, it feels alot like the t6060 in my buddys zl1
Some do, but trust me, isn't the case with mine. The first one whined like a supercharger. I had people ask me what supercharger I was running. <- not sarcasm. It would also lock out of gears and had a notchy 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shift like that of a old 70's Mack dump truck.

This one is whining slightly and the notchiness is on the path to becoming like that of the other one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
^Not saying there isn't an inherent hit and miss qc issue with these trannys, and i worry that mine will be facing the same issue in its life, but many old school guys on the forums think this trans is garbage cuz you can't powershift it much and have it live, but new tighter transmissions dont like that and they aren't willing to change their driving style. Hopefully your next trans survives, all i can say is if mine stays how it is and lasts, ill be more than happy. Absolutely love this car!

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
^Not saying there isn't an inherent hit and miss qc issue with these trannys, and i worry that mine will be facing the same issue in its life, but many old school guys on the forums think this trans is garbage cuz you can't powershift it much and have it live, but new tighter transmissions dont like that and they aren't willing to change their driving style. Hopefully your next trans survives, all i can say is if mine stays how it is and lasts, ill be more than happy. Absolutely love this car!
True that. I put ~30k miles of nearly all highway driving on this car, I don't have a lot of time to have fun in it. haha No powershifting here.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Is powershifting even safe? I don't even do the "clutchless shifting" even I can without the car jerking because the mechanics said it's bad...I can't imagine powershifting being any good. I guess every .1 sec is worth it to serious Drag racers but....if it's a DD or you want the car to last a long time...

Powershifting is shifting with the gas pedal on the floor the entire time right?

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Is powershifting even safe? I don't even do the "clutchless shifting" even I can without the car jerking because the mechanics said it's bad...I can't imagine powershifting being any good. I guess every .1 sec is worth it to serious Drag racers but....if it's a DD or you want the car to last a long time...

Powershifting is shifting with the gas pedal on the floor the entire time right?
Clutchless shifting is horrible and should be avoided unless your clutch went out and you're rev matching it to get you home.

Powershifting isn't exactly good for it, ends up with synchro wear over time. And you're correct with your definition

·
Registered
133 Posts
For the reason the clutch was invented lol its hard on the clutch, and transmission. And unless you time it right, prepare to grind the piss outta the tranny

1 - 20 of 43 Posts