Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its me again yet with another dang problem. I changed out my front shocks and I can't tighting up the nut that goes on top under the hood. It keeps spinning while i'm trying to get it on. any suggestions I did google/youtube it but it shows all of these kits with a hex top. mine is a flat head or a slit type top.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
I used an impact to get mine started. Eventually just got a screwdriver in the slot and used a wrench to tighten it the rest of the way.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have placed vice grips at the top of the strut before to keep it from spinning.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts
I stick the wrench over the top of the nut and a pry bar on the top slit of the strut. Should be able to get it snug with that.

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to C4 the car lol. I'm still getting my butt kicked by two damn bolts. how can i find out what kind of nut (thread count etc. to buy for replacement bolts?

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking maybe I messed up the shock threads but I rubbed my finger around it rather hard fully expecting to have metal in my fingers but nothing. I’m hopeful they are still good to go. The red you see on the threads are from a rag I sprayed down the threads and cleaned it.

Attachments

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok they are stripped!

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Did you replace with stocks or aftermarkets?
aftermarket kyb's but they didn't have nuts so i thought you reused the old ones

·
Registered
379 Posts
That is strange the struts didn't come with nuts, and might have been the problem. When I replaced my struts the nuts had the plastic to prevent them from backing out so I couldn't use an impact gun to get them on because the strut just spun. I used an allen wrench in the top slot (looks like a flat head screwdriver for you) and box wrench to tighten the nut by hand as much as I could. Then I was able to use a torque wrench to finalize. This was while the car was on the ground.

The old nut and new struts where probably different threads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts