Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, planning on getting some H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs and have some shock/strut questions. I am looking at the Tokico HD's, Bilstein HDs, and Tokico D-Spec adjustables. Which would be best for my application? Right now my car is a DD and i don't really plan on adjusting my suspension alot/at all but i do want a good set of shocks/struts. Any suggestions are welcome regarding the shocks/struts and/or Lowering Springs which im looking into. Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have H&R SS springs and they drop the car a lot. I'd go with the Bilstein, can't really go wrong with them, especially for DD. I think BMW and Mercedes use Bilstein, Not 100% sure tho.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Have Bilsteins on mine and they are great!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Just my opinion but if your not going to adjust the adjustable shocks and struts then it would prolly be a waste of cash. For the drop your going to get from those springs I would go with the reg tokico hd's...they ride great and dont break the bank. .02

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what about the springs? I was also looking at the FRPP c-springs. Besides getting a little more drop from the H&R what would be the difference and which would be better for me? Suspension is not my strong point lol.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
its been my experience riding in several different cars that bilsteins will offer the best ride quality - if thats what youre after.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Im in the same position as everyone else in here lol. I have the stock garbage now but cant decide on the tokico blues or bilstein's. Are the HD's the ones not for coil overs? and the sport are? I need better shocks but deployment says hold off til you get back lol. What all does everyone have and how does it ride. what was the price if you remember? ALso maybe what springs do you have? BTW I have Eibach pro kit..sorry to thread jack but maybe it wil help OP as well

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My suspension set-up is in my sig and Ive had no problems with it at all. Its not a hardcore racer set up but it rides awesome and sits well with my eibach sportlines, hands down, way better than my stock junk.

I bought my shocks and struts from AM when they were on sale, I bought my springs used and my cc plates used. Everything together= :rockon

Besides the drop there are minimal differences between the two. The ford's, h&r's, and eibachs are all progressive style springs so they are all about the same.

Drag launch springs are a different style and geared more for getting the best weight transfer as possible when drag racing, and certain springs, like the bbk gripp springs, are for road racing so they are stiffer springs so keep that in mine when choosing a spring. These springs are more for specifics, so if your a hardcore drag guy, obviously go with the launch springs. and if your an autoxer then go with the bbk gripp springs.

If your looking for normal everyday driving springs the eibachs, h&r's and the ford springs will be your best choice for an "all around" style spring.

This is why people always ask "what do you plan on doing with the vehicle" theres alot of factors that go into choosing then just the drop and will it fit my car,imo

Also, theres a suspension sticky running around here somewhere that should help....

EDIT: Here you go... http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/92453-official-suspension-guide.html

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have already read over the suspension guide a few times.

The FRPP C-springs are actually listed on AM as a Standard spring not progressive, however the B-Springs are a progressive spring.
B springs (progressive) have a Spring Rate: Front: 425/530 lb/in.
Rear: 200-300 lb/in.

and C-Springs (standard) have Spring rate of Front: 650 lb/in.
Rear: 200-300 lb/in.

I decided to go with FRPP since i have longtubes and dont want the H&R to scrape them everywhere. Which is better FRPP spring?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
my b springs are very comfortable on stock 110k mile shocks/struts. i imagine theyll be heavenly with tokico blues or similar :D

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
deciding between tokico blues or bilsteins seems like a huge difference all around.

tokico blues are cheap and good oem replacements IMO and bilsteins are top of the line performance shocks. i just ordered koni strts to replace my eibach rears i just blew out. they were about 10 dollars more than tokicos but im sure koni will be quite a bit better

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One last question: With C springs (or other stiffer options) are they still as safe as stockers at highway speeds and up?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts