Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this april during school vacation im gunna start the small part of my build..so yes i can run it and not have it off the road for any length of time..im aiming for roughly 350hp to the crank is fine...just wanna know if this will do that

stock block (with stock stroke and stock bore) 302cid
street demon 650cfm carb
edelbrock vic jr intake (w/ 2" spacer)
edelbrock performer rpm aluminum 1.90" heads
crane gold 1.7 roller rockers
custom grind comp cam

along with the other basics like exhuast, underdrive pullies, ignition, distributor and a decent fuel system

also consider im going from EFI to carburation

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Don't know your custom grind on the comp BUT if your timing is set right, and your barry grant is tuned too, you might just make 350. The reason I'm saying that is because I had an 89 GT with the same setup except I had an 800 on mine with a 301* cam and I think the lift was 550 I think. I made around the horsepower your looking for. I had a shitty half assed better days block and bad timing.

Hey dude, you have an 89 LX and I do to. If you want to just pm me your answer so I won't jack up this thread... At the back, top part of the motor, behind the pcv valve, there is a hole there, WTF IS THAT HOLE? If your block is the 5.0 HO

Thanks and sorry for asking a question on your thread. Itr's like comiong up on your commercial time and advertising my **** too LOL

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Its possible. Ditch all of your front drive accessories and get an electric water pump. Custom ground solid roller is something i would look into, and getting a better oil pan and built in windage tray to keep windage under control. Reduce as much rotating weight as possible, along with parasitic losses (dropping your accessories). 350bhp isnt hard with a 302. Im looking to do the same thing when i find a car!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Slightly better flowing heads will have you right where you want to be.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Slightly better flowing heads will have you right where you want to be.
+1, hell to desenate your 350 whoos, Better flowing heads, cam, and good timing adjustments will get your 350 you want. all the other struff is just extra horsepower. I learned that from Darrell a long while ago when I was dumb and stupid. Now the experience I gained thanks to him, I feel you will be fine.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well guys i wanna keep this a smaller build..im still gunna do the 347 this summer..i just wanna make some decent numbers for now..i really am not pulling the motor on this build...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and i drive it EVERY day...its gunna have power steering...it doesnt have A/C and doesnt have smog..and with underdrive pullys i dont see why i need to remove PS

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
We've already started on underdrive pullies, not going through that again LOL. You can pull some serious numbers my friend...

Stock Heads - Go have them ported, have the exhaust ported bigger, have the intake ever so slightly ported so you won't load up at a street light.

Cam - You have a good one, need another? Look for a cam in the 284/292 550" lift

Chip - If you can score a chip within your budget from craigslist or Ebay do it. That adds much horsepower and as a matter of fact. Look for one on craigslist.

That's a small project that gives you big numbers man. If you have gears you will feel that much better. If not, snag some 3.55's or if you are bout it bout it, snag some 4.10's if you love paying for gas. Don't worry, after this election stuff, the gas will go back down

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i would not recomend getting a chip off of ebay or craigs list. take it to a dyno and have them burn you a chip specific for your setup

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IM NOT DOING A CHIP..IM NOT STICKING WITH FUEL INJECTION...

why the **** would i have the stock intake and heads ported, fully ported dont flow half as well as a set of off the shelf edlebrock performers, not even the rpm's...the stock intake is worse...im going carburation..im going aftermarket aluminum heads..im getting a better cam, this cam is a decent power maker with stock or gt40 parts..thats it..im looking for a quick bolt on 350hp or so..im not digging into porting and valve jobs..thats for the 347

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Why do you need a custom grind for 350 hp :dunno

Why not buy a Trick Flow Cam and save the extra money cause im sure your not gonna stop at 350

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i might now even make 350..and im stopping until 347 build..then im going big..but i need more power for right now...and a custom grind from comp is like $250-275..and will help me make that 350hp

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thats not a bad price then

I would say go with that

well considering comp's extreme engery cams are a little lower than that..no its not a bad price

·
Registered
104 Posts
You could do MUCH beter on the heads and not have to upgrade again when you complete the 347. I have worked with Edelbrock Performerms and RPM's and I can say from experience that they have junk for valves and parts. Do it right the first time.

If I were you I would start by going up to a 750 cfm carb, 350 hp will want more fuel and air than a 650 will want to give IMO. Next, you say your going with a custom cam, I would contact Camshaft Innovations for a custom cam and Canfield head package that already has the right valve train parts installed for the cam, this will yeild you more power and give you room to grow for the 347.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You could do MUCH beter on the heads and not have to upgrade again when you complete the 347. I have worked with Edelbrock Performerms and RPM's and I can say from experience that they have junk for valves and parts. Do it right the first time.

If I were you I would start by going up to a 750 cfm carb, 350 hp will want more fuel and air than a 650 will want to give IMO. Next, you say your going with a custom cam, I would contact Camshaft Innovations for a custom cam and Canfield head package that already has the right valve train parts installed for the cam, this will yeild you more power and give you room to grow for the 347.
this is a small budget build..my 347 is the one going big..im fine with this set-up for a little while...im doing boss 302 block, canfield 205's, jay allen custom cam, 1.7's and the works...so im not putting those big a heads on a stock 302 with no machine work

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i like your parts selection, i give you 2 thumbs up

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks i've been planning the 347 build for a little while now..but im still not sure on the CID and block..i might grab a dart block and go 363

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
the lanuti 565/575 works very well and has decent vacuum for that carb using a lighter power valve and idles very well in the 900 range

1 - 20 of 27 Posts