Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body kno ware i can find a short shifter for a t-5 tranny? 5speed?

ne one ever takin aprat the t-5 and rebuilt it eather? im currently buildin/pimpin on a budget and if i dont have to take it 2 the trans shop it would be awsome.

ne info would be a gr8 help thanx

·
Registered
84 Posts
spell check helps!
any mustang mag has a shifter, easy to find .
just pick the one you like , personal choice really.
If you haven't rebuilt a trans before i suggest letting a shop do it but if you are handy with tools and are mechanically inclined it's not that hard.
Someone probably has written a book you can use as a guide.

·
Registered
83 Posts
how do you install a short shifter would i have to take out my tranny or do i just do it from inside the car?

·
Registered
291 Posts
how do you install a short shifter would i have to take out my tranny or do i just do it from inside the car?
It is inside the car all together there are only two bolts! REALLY REALLY easy to install a short throw shifter if you bought one!

BUT if your broke (like me) you could always just do what i did!

What i did on mine is took the shifter off cut about 3-4 inches off it welded it back together took the grinder to it, the put it back on pulled the shifter boot back up and was good to go! And all together it only took about 30 minutes and made my shifts alot shorter!

·
Registered
183 Posts
A short shifter is 4 bolts and can definately be done from inside the car. Youll most likely have to remove the console if you have one to get good access to the lower shift boot. But then just the 4 bolts and the old one will come off and the new one will go on. Id probably reccomend a Pro 5.0 shifter for a T-5. I know alot of people who have used them and used them on a couple cars myself and it is an awesome shifter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
no no no no....... its two bolts! and you do NOT have to take the console off, the only thing that you take off is the square piece that the boot is connected to.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
no no no no....... its two bolts! and you do NOT have to take the console off, the only thing that you take off is the square piece that the boot is connected to.
shortening the length of the shifter handle itself is a useless idea. The better thing to do is replace the entire shifter itself with an aftermarket design because it takes all of the slop out of the base and how the handle moves around within the base.

true, it is only two bolts to remove the shifter handle from the rest of the shifter.
to replace the entire shifter as a unit, you remove the bezel which snaps into the place in the console, remove four 8mm bolts for the trim plate/rubber boot and then four 1/2" bolts that hold the shifter to the transmission.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
^ what he said. Just as a side note, make sure you put the shifter in neutral when pulling the old one out. It makes things a bit easier. Make sure to replace the gasket as well. You can find a new one from cobra bobs for about $5.00 and they are quality. And obviously scrape off any old gasket before installing a new one. This job should take about an hour for a first timer doing it in a driveway. Also, it is okay to give the old shifter a good tug to get it out. It is not just going to slide on out after 24 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts