Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
it helps because it cuts down the shift time, which is important in race situations. if you don't race, you really dont need a short throw, at least at this point in time. get some performance mods first

·
Registered
159 Posts
First thing I got was my shifter, I love it. The shifting is really stiff which I enjoy. All of my friends hate the shifter and love the stock. I have the MGW set at 2 notches before the shortest though you can get. If you're heart set on getting the shifter, get it. Other wise get something for performance like v606er said.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey to a fellow '06 Vert manual owner! I just bought my Stang this summer and I'm having a blast modding it.

I put the Hurst short throw in my V6, and I love it. I don't have the noise problem (yet) some have reported, but now there's a fix (put a piece of flex pipe between the linkage and shifter spherical bearing).

I love the shifter for a number of reasons.

1) Shorter throw, more positive engagement. I really disliked "rowing" the gearbox in the Stang. The throw was way too long and truck-like.

2) It's easier to catch 3rd gear now. The shorter throw shifter gives more feel (it takes more force to change gears) and the feel makes it easier to get the right gear. With the long throw factory shifter, even small amounts of side-force on the stick could cause me to miss a shift.

3) The shifter is now in the right place. I really like the position of the new shifter. My hand falls naturally right on the handle, and rests very comfortably on it while driving.

Oh, and it looks cool too. Even though I never plan to race (I may eventually take it to the track just to see what it'll do), a short-throw shifter makes spirited driving much more enjoyable. Steering, shifting, and seat of the pants feedback are the essence of the driving experience. I didn't want to miss one single bit of the fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts