Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched around reading and just wondering whats the better choice...

I have the Hurst right now, and its done its job, but it rattles at high rpms and keeps getting loose. Starting to irritate me. So is the MGW a much better option? If so, I will end up buying one probably this weekend. What do ya think?

Hurst and deal, or MGW?

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have heard nothing but good for the most part. Just is it worth the swap I wonder

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I feel that the MGW is the best short throw shifter on the market for the S197. The design that was put into it trumps everything else out there.

·
Registered
691 Posts
how long did the swap take you to go from stock to hurst? 1.5 hours i'd assume? ive personally had no problems and love my hurst but do you love yours enough to keep messing with it and have it annoy you all the time or do you feel like its worth it to spend another hour and a half on a shifter ive never heard a complaint about? its all up to you :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ill take your hurst if its free. Lol

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have the Hurst and I love the look and feel but i've heard the MGW is better. Whenever I get the cash (hopefully tomorrow) I am going to buy a K-member brace and MGW shifter. Mine does rattle now and its just not what I want out of a shifter.

·
Registered
961 Posts
the mgw is a far superior design. if mgw made a shifter that looked as good as the hurst, nobody would have a hurst.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well damn I might be swapping it out..

It took about an hour or so. I dont really mind doing it again, cause the rattle does get kind of frustrating after awhile.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a Hurst I like it so far and I only paid $50 for it so I can't really bitch. If it starts to give me trouble I will swap it out with a MGW but for now I am keeping it.

If I had to pay $200+ for a shifter I would just get the MGW but I got the Hurst dirt cheap.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Hurst I like it so far and I only paid $50 for it so I can't really bitch. If it starts to give me trouble I will swap it out with a MGW but for now I am keeping it.

If I had to pay $200+ for a shifter I would just get the MGW but I got the Hurst dirt cheap.
Yeah the hurst came free with the car, just not installed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had a Hurst Comp shifter for about 30 minutes, then took it out. To say it rattled would be to say Osama Bin Laden preferred not to eat dinner with Americans. Loved the classic look of the Hurst and knew it was a risk to rattle but daammmn mine must have been much much worse than average.

I put in an MGW and its been great. In the first couple months, there was a few days here and there where it rattle just a little, but hasn't since in the 12+ months I've had it. Guess there was a break-in period. I dunno.

But its freakin great.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My car is in the shop while I'm out of the country on business for a week. Installs are as follows:

MGW shifter
Carbon fiber driveshaft
Adjustable UCA and UC mount

I can't wait to get back and pick up the car on Wednesday night. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences in the car when I get back. My 17 y/o son and I are taking it on the Hot Rod Power Tour in June, and so I can't wait to see and feel the differences in the car after these latest mods.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
the mgw is a far superior design. if mgw made a shifter that looked as good as the hurst, nobody would have a hurst.
Maybe for certain people but I actually don't like the Hurst, be it performance or the appearance. To me it's out of place in the S197. The S197 is just way too refined to me if that makes sense. I liked it in my '65 Fastback though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts