Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a pro 5.0 short throw today. I followed the instructions to a T. I just took it out and have noticed that this new shifter is alot louder. What I mean by louder is the gears inside the tranny are louder. I think it has to do with the stock inner boot (rubber) had to be trimmed to put in the new shifter. And that is according to the instructions I received. So by trimming the boot it left alot more exposed. So the only thing in between the top of the shifter and inside the car is the outer boot and it is leather. So my question is does the noise come from less sound reducer in between me and the tranny now or did I screw something up? I don't think I did. And also do the short throws have a firmer shift? It feels like it is supposed to be like that but I want to be sure. Thanks for any Help Guys!:D

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
it's normal to have extra noise with any after market shifter.
and the shifter is new.. give it a few to loosen up and it won't be so firm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also I don't think the 3650 has internal shift stops on it so I adjusted the shift stops that came with the shifter

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
take out the shift stops bro.. like yesterday.
it can damage your transmission.
yes the T-3650 DOES have internal shift stops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure dude? I def. don't want to damage anything.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
I am VERY sure.

the T-3650 and the T-56 as well as the new mustangs all have them.

early 01 and back have the T-45's which did not have internal shift stops.
It should have come in your install directions to take them out.
I know if you bought from American Muscle they include that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought from Blue Oval and it did not say that. But any way I greatly appreciate it. They are coming out right now in about 5min.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have a t3650 in a 2000 gt i know your prolly gonna tell me i dont but i do i know how to read....anyway I have the front stop in my shfiter still but it doesnt hit it...you can slide a popsicle stick threw the space. Should i take it right out...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I removed my shifter stops. And Smitty, your observations are normal for a short shifter. They are noisey and the shifter is hard and stiff (did I just say that?)when new.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If you have a 2000 GT like me then you should have a T45 transmission. But, we all have to live with the changes the previous owners made... rignt? You need to set up your shifter to the transmission you have.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have the steeda tri-ax and it makes alot of noise lately in 5th gear when its my first shift into 5th gear...it seems to go away when it gets warmer ...or maybe after being in 5th for a lil while...not sure but i thought id ask the question in this thread... my shifter is really noisy...but i guess its supposed to be?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Shorter throw = increased force required; that's just plain ol' mechanical principle and when combined with the "newness" of the shifter (which will wear in to some extent) it can be quite noticeable...

Also, +1 on the 3650 not needing the shift stops. Either remove them and plug the holes (I used SS button head cap screws), or back 'em off so they don't touch the shifter and lock them down.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
my mgw is really tight but i like it (lol all this talk of hard, stiff, and tight deff doesnt sound like a thread about shifters)...it has loosened up some. as for the gears, they are louder, well you can hear them now. the factory shifter hasa vibration isolator that prevents this...now you have solid aluminum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts