Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been interested in buying a short throw shifter. I was wondering how the hurst feels as in terms of stiffness. I would prefer to have the shifter stiffer. I dont think the MGW is in the picture, but is this a stiff shifter? Or is it more smooth?

My personal preference would be more of a stiff shifter.
Thanks everyone :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
The hurst is pretty stiff man, and it looks really good too. But it might rattle a bit mine does

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
I'm rocking the Steeda Tri-ax, its fully adjustable and has a "3rd" gear assist... It's nearly impossible to miss gears now. I had it on my 2000 GT as well and same results, IMO it's a great shifter

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yea if it didnt look so good i would probaby have changed it by now. Iv missed 3rd more times with the hurst then with the stocker just from my experience

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response.

I'm not too worried about missing gears, cause this car is my daily driver. And I'm not racing. I just want shorter throws and a more stiff feeling.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
I never miss gears with my hurst. Only down side to the hurst is the rattle and vibes at high rpm's. IMO it looks the best too. There is two hurst shifter, make sure you get the more expensive one. I think it's the pro billit plus. I found mine for $210 shipped.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i have a hurst and i love it. it is pretty stiff so if thats what youre looking for, definetly worth the money. mine doesnt rattle :p but ive heard it pretty common. either way, cant go wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I am going with the steeda tri-ax, when i order one!

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
What do you mean the MGW isn't in the picture? The MGW is hands down the best shifter on the market for the S197. The latest design is blowing everyone out of the water.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What do you mean the MGW isn't in the picture? The MGW is hands down the best shifter on the market for the S197. The latest design is blowing everyone out of the water.
+1. not the first person ive heard say that so i would have to agree, also a little cheaper than the steeda. if i had joined and read up on the forum before buying my hurst, i'd probably have an mgw in my car

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just did my Hurst Shifter install 2 weekends ago. Took 1.5hr to install the longest part was trying to get the new shifter into the opening. I put locktite on the bolts and plumbers tape on the thread where the shift know screw on too. (Heard on here that helps with rattling down the road). I like it, stiffer than stock. It does look good in the car though.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
i have the steeda tri ax. personally, i think that $300 could be best used elsewhere on car

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ordered the MGW a few days ago, and looking forward to installing it in the car.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
+1 mgw :d

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Truth.

·
Registered
360 Posts
How hard is it to install a MGW shifter? I want to get one but don't feel like paying for installation.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
How hard is it to install a MGW shifter? I want to get one but don't feel like paying for installation.
I did mine on my back in the garage - didn't even have to remove the driveshaft - but it wasn't real easy...pretty tight clearance. Hardest part was removing the stocker.

I used long drive-up ramps I made for the front of the car and jacks under the rear to get the car elevated and level.

My shifter is a Roush, but I would hands-down do the MGW if doing it again (I may yank out the Roush and add the MGW anyway). I drove an MGW and it is so much better than the Roush or Hurst (I drove one of those too).

·
Registered
318 Posts
I bought a Hurst because I love the look, then climbed under the car to remove my stock piece only to find out it was a Steeda Tri-ax! Lol. Took the boot off and saw that the shifter arm on the Tri-ax had been installed backwards. I had hated the reach and height of my shifter, and after flipping the shifter arm around it solved both problems. Felt like a brand new unit, so i sold the Hurst. Been in love with the Tri-ax ever since!

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
MGW por vida!
The mgw is pretty stiff, but after about a year, mine feels like perfection.
Hurst will rattle unless you modify it on one of the ways that some people have come up with.
Haven't heard much about the tri-ax, but I know people have taken them out to put in a hurst or mgw...
Heard Roush was nice, but after what DiMora just posted, I'd say the MGW deserves a good long look before anyone buys a shifter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts