Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i wanna slap a shorter belt on, i know i want to bypass the A/C and the smog pump since i have a O/R x-pipe...just a couple q's

do i need to take the smog pump off?
do i need to get a tune to make it run with the shorter belt?

and if there is anything else i should know before i tackle this would be great.

thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
they sell smog pump and ac delete kits, i would invest in them. And no you do not need a tune

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would invest, but sadly i will have to pass emissions again in *some* time, so i dont want to have to hassle with removing the pump and putting it back in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
check out this site, hes a member here and has great insight on bypassing without removal.

Dino's Mustang 5.0L GT Site

i would start by measuring your crank pulley to ensure diameter. i started on mine but need a longer one. im just gonna bust it infront of the auto parts store for easy return incase it doesnt fit. delete kit is like 60 bucks, and belts are about 30.

good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i love that site! yea hes bullitt95, i think im gonna just bypass the smog pump, and the a/c and just see waht happens, ive heard the shorter belts start to stretch and get kinda nasty if you dont move the power steering pump, but well see waht happens.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
i love that site! yea hes bullitt95, i think im gonna just bypass the smog pump, and the a/c and just see waht happens, ive heard the shorter belts start to stretch and get kinda nasty if you dont move the power steering pump, but well see waht happens.
Any new belt will stretch so it's better to err on the shorter side when buying one. An 82.7" belt should work fine for bypassing the AC and smog pump provided you have stock pulleys:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts