Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m wanting to run a high offset 17 X 9.5” wheel under the fender of a 73. I have heard that an 18” wheel will clear the A-arm and allow the backspacing I am looking for, but is there a spindle with a shorter distance from the hub to the upper ball joint that will allow 17” wheels to be tucked in? It is okay of it is 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 4.75. I actually prefer a 5 on 4.75” pattern; that would make wheel selection easier with the offset I want to run.

Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Because I want to run Corvette offset wheels under the fenders. It will save me $600 to buy a slightly used set of 17 X 9 / 17 X 11 Torque Thrust II wheels (my favorite) or I can save over $1,000 if I buy used 18 X 9.5 / 18 X 10.5 C5 Z06 Vette wheels (which look like the late model Shelby wheels).
I’ll keep the 9” solid axle rear end; I have 7.5” of backspacing to spring. If change to full size Lincoln rear end, I’ll have 8.5” backspacing to spring. The Vette wheels have 7.5”, 7.75” or 7.9” backspace depending on offset.

If I keep the Mustang front suspension, I can run wheel adaptors and fit the 18” rims over the A- Arms, or with shorter spindles, the 17” will work.

If I can find the labor cheap enough, however, I’ll swap in C4 Vette front suspension. I can get them for $600 rotor to rotor with 13” discs and remove the problem of shock tower stress cracks in road racing conditions. I can convert it for 1/3 the money it would cost to upgrade with Mustang compatible aftermarket parts. The Ford purists should not squirm too much at that because aftermarket parts are not Ford parts anyway, and most of my "all Ford" haters run Taiwan sheet metal on their “all Ford” Mustangs. At least mine will be all American and it will run circles around aftermarket Mustang road racing suspensions in the autocross.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nice. Btw I ain't knocking you, I just wanted to know what was up with that because I saw the 4.75" and was intrigued. Should be fun if it works for you. I don't know much about suspension myself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem. I couldn’t tell if you were gearing up for one of “those” lectures or not. Didn’t mean to start off with “a chip on my shoulder”; sorry.

Anyway, does anyone know what will happen to the 71-73 steering geometry if a ½” or 1” shorter front spindle is used? Would a “Shelby drop” correct the geometry change or make it worse?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts