Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GT with a 5.4 swap from a Lightning minus the supercharger (for now). I didn't get any paperwork with it, (I know. Bad.) and it has a LOT done to it. The guy I got it from DID tell me it has this to his knowledge (he got it from the guy that did everything) and said that when it had the supercharger on it, it was pushing around 500hp - probably an exaggeration but still.

5.4 w/aluminum heads
Big cam
H-pipe
Shorty headers
4.10 gears
30 lb injectors
Proflow mas air flow
Super 44 flowmasters
MMR 9qt Oil Pan

He said that it may have more internal engine work done, but he wasn't sure what. Below is my most recent dyno sheet. It said AFTER the tune that I had 301.8 Torque and 256.6 HP.

Is it just me, or is that low for what's in it? Also, the only paper I did get with it was a dyno sheet that showed ~330 tq and ~280 hp. How did I lose 30 hp?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
well all you really know is it has injectors, airflow, exhaust work and a 5.4L. thats not really much. and it says big cam but you dont really know unless you pull the valve covers. so it sounds like a base 5.4 motor is in there and the guy gave you some random information.
Hopefully thats not the case but I myself would get digging into it some more and find out some hard facts about what you actually have inside

·
Registered
151 Posts
also the lightning motors have slightly less compression than an n/a 5.4 so your losing even more without the blower

·
Registered
151 Posts
also on a motor like that 30lb injectors are little much unless thats a monster cam in there

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Not really a big deal with that power. you have plenty of torque but you need boost on a modular motor.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Sounds about fair for whats in it. And dyno #s will all be different, especially if ones dynoed on a mustangdyno and other is a dynojet.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sounds about right for a 5.4. Needs some boost man, lightning motors have like 8.5 compression or something like that.

There for sure isn't a cam in there

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also the lightning motors have slightly less compression than an n/a 5.4 so your losing even more without the blower
That's what I was thinking. I don't have the money right now to get one, but trust me, I will end up putting a blower back on it.
Looks about right to me.

If it is a lightning motor its only got 8.5:1 Compression.

What intake is on the motor?
I was told it's a HPS hardballer intake manifold. I also have a CAI to throw onto it, but I can't afford the re-tune I'd need for it since the MAM is a smaller diameter on the new one.
Sounds about right for a 5.4. Needs some boost man, lightning motors have like 8.5 compression or something like that.

There for sure isn't a cam in there
There is though. You can definitely hear it.
Here is a video I took a while ago to hear the lopey idle.
1996 Mustang GT with 5.4 swap - YouTube

·
Registered
836 Posts
Maybe you can borrow an inspection camera and look in the spark plug holes to check the pistons? Look in the oil drain plug to check the rods?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts