Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching and posting here at this forum and found nothing but great conversation. I was all about buying the kit even bragg about it to my soldiers hahaha. I know if I buy non I/C kit I can get my, LCA's, 4 tires, a dyno tune even KB site "say" they stand behind their computer chip and no need for dyno tune. Before I buy this kit, can someone pls. tell me that a 6 PSI kit really don't need I/C.

·
Registered
103 Posts
NEED vs. VERY NICE TO HAVE

It all depends on how you plan to use it. I have the 1.7 KB intercooled and in all my research getting the intercooler was highly recommended and worth the added expense. It's insurance on your motor and helps the efficiency of the blower. If you're going to be racing this car and/or love being in boost (and trust me you will once you install it), I'd say go with the intercooler. And let's face it 6psi kit, don't kid yourself. You'll be at the 9psi pulley soon and looking for even more after that. In that case, you'll definitely want the intercooler.

·
Registered
103 Posts
From the KB website (which if you haven't been to, you need to)

" What effect does the cooler air charge temperature from a Twin Screw have on performance? A cooler air charge allows the engine to accept additional ignition timing and/or higher boost. Both increase engine output.

How much more boost can I run with an intercooler? Typically 3-5 psi with the same octane."

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see where you coming from and it's a great insurance for the motor. But how long can you get by buying I/C kit with just LCA's? Did you upgrade your suspention right away after installing this blower?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Upgrading the suspension? Who told you that you "needed" to do that? I have the stock GT suspension and have never been told that it was necessary to change when installing a blower. To me, LCAS are a "nice to have" upgrade but now here near a deal breaker on a supercharger.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the KB website (which if you haven't been to, you need to)

" What effect does the cooler air charge temperature from a Twin Screw have on performance? A cooler air charge allows the engine to accept additional ignition timing and/or higher boost. Both increase engine output.

How much more boost can I run with an intercooler? Typically 3-5 psi with the same octane."
I'm not trying to be baddest mustang out on the street but I do hate rice burner :D. I don't think I will be upgrading my internal anytime soon so I'm keeping the boost low or maybe this is the last mod for my car "engine".

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upgrading the suspension? Who told you that you "needed" to do that? I have the stock GT suspension and have never been told that it was necessary to change when installing a blower. To me, LCAS are a "nice to have" upgrade but now here near a deal breaker on a supercharger.
That' the first time hearing it but, I will believe you because you have the same blower I'm about to buy today. Well 2.1L is just an upgrade. Good to know that I don't have to buy my suspention for now.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
deff run a intercooler. if you lived in a place that never got above 70 degrees i would say non ic would be ok, but with out it your intake temps will break over 200. twin screw sc's generate a ton of heat even just crusing around.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deff run a intercooler. if you lived in a place that never got above 70 degrees i would say non ic would be ok, but with out it your intake temps will break over 200. twin screw sc's generate a ton of heat even just crusing around.
I'm about to go to Texas and I'm sure it gets pretty hot. I think I am going to call KB today and ask if the damn thing is really complete to install. Do you know if the KB instruction is pretty good?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
kb's are easy to install. if your goals are to run a built motor i would run the 2.6L lc unit. also buy a tuner kit so you can pick out your own fuel system so your not wasting money on fuel parts when it is time to upgrade.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think this is my last mod for my engine. I was lookin' at ngk or denso sparkplug and do you know which one is better?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I think this is my last mod for my engine. I was lookin' at ngk or denso sparkplug and do you know which one is better?
better is the cheaper of the 2, best is running copper core spark plugs especaily if your running boost. spark plugs dont give enough power gain to make one better than the other, just be sure to get the right heat range for your application.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
better is the cheaper of the 2, best is running copper core spark plugs especaily if your running boost. spark plugs dont give enough power gain to make one better than the other, just be sure to get the right heat range for your application.
The two plugs were recommended by KB. Is motorcraft copper plugs the one your talking about? Also the post above not recommending the suspension upgrade is legit? Like I said this is my last mod for my engine. Thanks

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
ngk t6's autolite 103's. also suspention i would run baseline relocated uppers and upr chromoly lowers/baseline lowers, just make sure they have spherical rod ends. get some sub frame connecters

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks for the plugs and can you get this from any autoparts store? I think I will wait after I move to Texas for suspension because Hawaii really sucks. Also alot of people not recommending UCP because my car is for street use?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
the suspention combo i described is one of the best for the price. now the mm tork arm and panhard bar setup is sick for handeling and strip use. just cost alot

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
you will be fine running the stock suspension, just upgrade down the road when you feel like you want to. Another thing you have to get is stock pulleys UDPs are not good with blowers

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use NGK T6's and you can get those at Autozone. I installed my blower when I lived in TX in my apartment garage by myself and it took me 2 weekends. The installation manual is excellent, their tech support line is awesome, and there's plenty of help here on the forums. As far as the last mod, my KB was the last mod for my car too, and I have no ambitions of forging internals with this blower. KB will tell you that a 2.1 at 9psi is safe for the stock block/internals. If you plan to push over 400 HP, then forged internals becomes a real concern.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the suspention combo i described is one of the best for the price. now the mm tork arm and panhard bar setup is sick for handeling and strip use. just cost alot
Alright the upr lca's, do you know if this thing make alot of noise? Most of my suspension set-up most likely will be done at Fort Hood and at mainland, I can get it cheaper and S&H is free :D.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
right now i have upr uppers and lowers and there is a little noise but nothing m exhaust does not cover. hitting big bumps is the only time i hear anything. im about to swap out for the baseline uppers my self with a really stiff sway bar and a air bag in the passenger side spring.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts