Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my fiance has a 93 2.3 hatch and last fall I found a 87-88 turbocoupe engine for 200. Due to when i got it and time, i havent had time to start a rebuild of the engine so it sat at her parents house since we live in an apartment. The main question i have is, it has been outside under a tarp but bue to wind and weather the engine has been exposed to the elements. How can i see if it is still worth using or should i just junk it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
darknightv6, Before you s***can the motor, start by checking the oil.....does it look like some really funky chocolate pudding? If the oil looks okay, with no evidence of water, take the manifolds off and give it a looking for rust, crud,mice nest and the like.
If that passes, then pull the plugs and put a couple of table spoons of Marvel Mystery oil or the like in each cylinder and turn the engine over manually.
If the motor isn't locked up and you were planning on "freshening" it up then no harm no foul and haven't wasted 2 bills.
Just my .02
TJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should be going over there today after work. Is there anything i can/should take off and clean up or examine at my apartment?

·
Registered
11 Posts
darknight, the intake manifold would be a good place to start, along with the turbo.
A large plastic dish pan and plastic drop cloth would be real handy, and a couple of cans of intake/ throttle body cleaner. If the weather permits do it out side(fumes and carbon yuck) Check the turbo,see if it spins freely with no impeller blades dinged or visibly damaged and no play in spool shaft. If the turbo checks out,clean the beejeezus out of the rascal. Check the mating surface on the exhaust manifold and check it for cracks.
Inspect all the gasket areas and get them as clean as you can.
Anything you can do to keep the elements from the engine would be a good thing.
TJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts