Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a catted x and slp lm1's no headers or cams..if I cut my cats out and replaced them with just straight pipes will it be louder and still have quality??

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Personally from a man who started out with no Cats, its just sounds so much cleaner with the hi-flo cats installed and better. Plus there is zero noticeable difference performance wise.

The loud set up is cool at first but gets old real quick.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Personally from a man who started out with no Cats, its just sounds so much cleaner with the hi-flo cats installed and better. Plus there is zero noticeable difference performance wise.

The loud set up is cool at first but gets old real quick.
+1

I had o/r H and MAC catback for a while and it was pretty nice, but after a while I realized how loud it really was on the outside lol.

With LM1's it'll be really loud and raspy. I'm personally not a fan of the LM1's or LM2's

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Leave it catted! I have LM1's and a "catted" X (hollowed out), and it is just ridiculous. I wish it had more tone, and I'm switching to a ProChamber soon. I'll let y'all know how that sounds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yea go with the high flow cats if possible. But if you want it without cats then buy an o/r h or x pipe then u can reinstall the stock catted hpipe so ull pass inspection

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
keep the cats or put on hi flow cats esp with lm1s.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yes. Unless you have an LS1 swap. A 4.6L with cut outs sounds like garbage in my opinion. They work on older muscle cars and some new late models with big engines but not with a New Edge.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
LTs, Off road X or H, SLP LM1's. Problem solved. Take two Excedrin before driving, you will need them for the headache. LOUDNESS.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have Lts, O/R X and I had LM1s when I bought the car. It is the loudest you can achieve but like stated before, it get annoying especially during downshifts. I switched to Magnapacks and love them. They are still loud but not annoying

·
Registered
224 Posts
if you want to improve the sound, go with long tube headers and leave the cats in. it's what i have and it's already the loudest around AND it sounds great. i'm usually the loudest even when we go to the race track (road course) too.

don't sacrifice quality for quantity. i think you'll regret it.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
cutting cats out is just a bad idea. i did it on my black one with bassani catted and i was so mad i did it. plus its goes from like 2.5 inch piping to a huge hole where the cats where

·
Registered
295 Posts
if you want to improve the sound, go with long tube headers and leave the cats in. it's what i have and it's already the loudest around AND it sounds great. i'm usually the loudest even when we go to the race track (road course) too.

don't sacrifice quality for quantity. i think you'll regret it.
I agree with Don, Long tubes are for better quality sound and performance. But they are not for being the loudest. The loudest setup you can have is stock manifolds, o/r X pipe (H is a tad quieter), and no mufflers or glasspacks. The manifolds are louder than long tubes, but also much more annoying without a muffler.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
ha i was running an or/x with straight pipe no mufflers. it was so loud it was waking the dead. had probly 30 people over a week period run the other way with their hands over their ears. haha fun for a period of time

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have ran straight pipes on my car before and noticed an immediate loss in power. Plus it sounds like garbage, I would not even waste my time with it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i got lts mac prochamber and mac catback with 2 mufflers. mine doesnt sound that loud. is it cas of the mufflers in the back? anyone else got this setup?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I dont think the OP meant straight pipes without mufflers, he just said he was replacing the cats with straight pipes. Just the cats.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I dont think the OP meant straight pipes without mufflers, he just said he was replacing the cats with straight pipes. Just the cats.
True, but straight pipes with slp lm1's is no better than straight pipes all the way out. Either way sounds like garabage, and I have tried both.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts