Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's obvious my m/t streets were never meant for a manual trans so I'm gonna go with a slick but should I go 26 or 28? The m/t r are 235/60/15 and they just can't handle the torque. I'm a drop and go driver so I need a slick that canhandle it. I've got a 7 inch rim I wanna use any suggestions on size and manufacturer that you guys use. Thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys 26 it is im not making much HP but with the 410s i get lots of wheel spin and its killing me.just didnt want to go to small and have same issue but with a slick im reading that its gonna take the shock of the torque off the line

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
It sounds like you need to do some suspension work. There's no reason why you need a full slick. There's guys going 1.30 60ft times on 275 M/T ET Street drag radials. I have 4.30's and can hook on Nitto 555R's as long as the track is prepped.

Tires may not be your solution.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like you need to do some suspension work. There's no reason why you need a full slick. There's guys going 1.30 60ft times on 275 M/T ET Street drag radials. I have 4.30's and can hook on Nitto 555R's as long as the track is prepped.

Tires may not be your solution.
i was reading on mickey's web site that the et street radial are not recommended for manual trans. i probably could use some suspension work. i have LCA's i dont know i just cant seem to hook i have played with my 2 step trying to find that sweet spot but still having traction issues. so do you think slicks would be over kill. your running a lot taller tire than i am. Maybe i should a little taller also

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
What are your mods? I've ran 8.74 on street tires and 8.54 on dirt track tires(poor man's dr's). That was n/a and stock gears. You need more suspension.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
i was reading on mickey's web site that the et street radial are not recommended for manual trans. i probably could use some suspension work. i have LCA's i dont know i just cant seem to hook i have played with my 2 step trying to find that sweet spot but still having traction issues. so do you think slicks would be over kill. your running a lot taller tire than i am. Maybe i should a little taller also
I'm running a 28" tire with 4.30 gears though, which makes my effective gear ratio around 3.99:1, very close to a 4.10. I'm just saying that if you can't hook on an M/T ET Radial, there's something wrong with the setup, not the tire. That tire is capable of handling a lot more than you're throwing at it, even with a 235 size tire.

What 2 step are you using? If it's the one built into the SCT X3, don't use that crap. It doesn't hold you at a steady RPM enough to really be able to dial in a launch RPM.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm running a 28" tire with 4.30 gears though, which makes my effective gear ratio around 3.99:1, very close to a 4.10. I'm just saying that if you can't hook on an M/T ET Radial, there's something wrong with the setup, not the tire. That tire is capable of handling a lot more than you're throwing at it, even with a 235 size tire.

What 2 step are you using? If it's the one built into the SCT X3, don't use that crap. It doesn't hold you at a steady RPM enough to really be able to dial in a launch RPM.
im running a msd 2 step my mods are 4.10's,UDP,CAI,75MM TB,OFR PIPE BORAL STINGERS LCA'S. IVE HIT 8.55,8.56,8.59 WITH 1.82-1.85 60'S ON THESE TIRES BEFORE but never since the 2 step was installed. it works really nice lot more consistent other than it seems it just rocks the tires i tried all different air pressure. i do have lowering springs on the rear but i ran the 8.55 with them on it could have been weather i guess. just would like to beTTER traction. im was pretty frustrated the best et i could get sat was 8.67 my worst was 9.00 i have not seen a nine since i had street tires.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Get some uca's and subframe connectors if you don't have them. Do you have your front sway bar removed?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get some uca's and subframe connectors if you don't have them. Do you have your front sway bar removed?
Front sway is gone so Uca's and sub connectors ok. Do any of guys run any weight in the trunk or will that slow me down even more?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I never added any weight. You need practice launching so go as often as you can.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It is true radials are not as good as bias slicks with a stick. DR's don't recover well from the shock of a stick shift launch. However, with that being said, I was able to consistently get 1.7 60's on 275 ET street radials. Instead of a full on slick, you might consider the ET street bias tire. It's street legal and is bias, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I'm running 1.7 60ft times on a crappy prepped track on 275 Nitto 555R's, which are vastly inferior to the M/T ET Street Radials with no horsepower.

Just wait until I put Hoosier QTP's on the car.

It's all about seat time and learning how the car wants to be launched. Suspension doesn't hurt either..... lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know how hard it is to fix things without seeing them but u guys are running a bit taller tire than I do u think if I went with a taller drr like the bias et street I could get a better bite I know I need suspension work also

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
What you gain from the launch, you may lose from taking gear ratio out of the car. It's a balancing act.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What you gain from the launch, you may lose from taking gear ratio out of the car. It's a balancing act.
Yea I see your point there. When I first wanted to drag race I thought how hard could it be u just go in a straight line. Then I started bracket racing and getting my tail kicked every saturday. There is a lot more to it then what a person realizes I just found out last week from this forum that weather can play a huge role in ET. I mean I knew it made some difference but when dialing tenths of a second or less become major issues from winning and losing I had no clue I now love to watch the vetrans dial in there car and run that et time after time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts