Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so anyone looking at my other thread can see I have an issue with my car and its current tune. It runs excessively rich and I can baby it and still get maybe 10 mpg. A few of you have said to buy a tuner and get free tunes from Bama or where ever and be done with it. Im considering just buying one right now and still seeing if the place can tune the car for me this week (for free) and in case I can have the tuner as a backup so I can change the octane and whatever in case gas prices end up at $4.09 for 87 and not the 93 octane im paying for right now.

My only issue is I would have to put it on my credit card for now but I can pay the tuner off in a month easily. Would Bama be cool with sending me multiple tunes like a 93 octane and 87. My mods are fairly light: Hot rod cams, Steeda CAI, 4.10 gears and offroad h-pipe so I cant see a tune being hard to figure out.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
if you pay for the 3 tunes you will also get the free tunes for life deal. in those 3 tunes you can choose your octane for each individual tune and what you want the tune to be. IE: tune 1) 91 octane street tune. tune 2)93 octane race tune. tune 3) 87 octane street tune.

you will see all the options when you buy the tune. they will also email you a thing to explain all your mods to them before they write the tunes.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you pay for the 3 tunes you will also get the free tunes for life deal. in those 3 tunes you can choose your octane for each individual tune and what you want the tune to be. IE: tune 1) 91 octane street tune. tune 2)93 octane race tune. tune 3) 87 octane street tune.

you will see all the options when you buy the tune. they will also email you a thing to explain all your mods to them before they write the tunes.
Yeah I pretty much decided to buy a tuner im just waiting for a discount code from AM. Im going with the tuner because of the 3 tunes on hand and the little things I can change on the fly as well.

Hopefully my car doesnt break by then.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. I took my car in and got hot rod cams, 4.10 gears, offroad h-pipe and a Steeda CAI installed with a dyno tune. I told the guy I wanted a 93 octane tune and I wanted the TCS off when I started the car.

Well I get the car back and the TCS never happened which I didnt mind as much but the car now sucks down gas... I can baby it and get 10mpg at most when the car is saying I should be getting 20+. I can smell the fuel from inside the car and it chugs down gas at idle.

I dont feel like taking it back and having to deal with everything again so Im just getting the tuner and letting Bama do their thing and have a good tune done for me. I also would like to be able to change to 87 if needed. With all the above mentioned mods im getting 307rwhp which seems alright but it doesnt feel like its that much faster. They also raised the rev limiter to 6500 which I never asked for but if its safe ok... they never told me about it I had to look at the dyno sheet to tell how high it was.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Sorry, but this plan is stupid. You don't have basic bolt ons anymore and a bama tune won't be good enough. U need a dyno tune. You only making 307rwhp sounds just about average. With cams u need long tubes. Expect to be around 330rwhp with just the addition of lt's and a retune. Expect about 15-17mpg with your cams on a good tune. Not 20+. The smell of gas inside is a result of your cams. You shouldn't get a tune for lower than 91 octane either. With the parts you have installed in the car, you need better fuel than 87.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
there are still quite a few people that use email tunes for cams ect. bama/A.M. will still work with you to get them right.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah ive heard plenty of people running a Bama tune or other tune and getting better gas mileage from 4.10s and hot rods. I dont expect 20 mpg in the city... highway I expect pretty damn close. I can cruise at 2000rpm easily I shouldnt be getting only 10mpg.

The dyno sheet says 307rwhp but it doesnt feel much better than stock. Yes it leaps off the line and sounds mean as hell but it just doesnt have a huge kick in the pants feel I expected from 50 additional horsepower. The tune isnt right I can feel it in the power band and the car is excessively rich. Its not a little fuel its way too much. I would love 15 mpg but I dont have a good tune so im not getting anywhere near that. I get pissed just watching my fuel gauge drop and other people with the same mods are getting twice as much fuel economy than me.

I guess I'll find out whenever I get my tuner in and see how it performs afterwards.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
I get 13.5 mpg. I took a trip this past summer and got 21mpg's all highway. I don't think brenspeed will even send you u a tune with aggressive cams. I had one from Bama, but it sucked. Then I got my dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just did a google search and on allfordmustangs.com AMChrisRose says he has a mail order tune for the hot rods you just need to specify that to Bama and they tune it. Said he was 100% confident in it.

It seems like its trial and error if its not right. Im sure I can run the car with one of their tunes and use the datalog info if its not right. Yes its no dyno tune but as of right now the dyno tune I have is way off and the tuner has free tunes for life.

Im calling about a dyno tune on Monday and we'll see how they react and if they can tune it a little bit better. Its still vibrating horribly at 1250 rpm with the pypes violators on so its not an exhaust issue (other thread) and its still too rich. 307rwhp and 10 mpg... am I the only one who finds that insanely off?

Edit: Well me and Psycho bob.....

Ive read elsewhere that people where gaining mpg with the hot rods. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wasnt expecting it but I know my mpg shouldn't drop in half. Im gonna talk to Bama and AM tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. And the dyno tune guy.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
I drove about 180 miles today, and cruising at 80 mph with the a/c on, with 4.10's at ~3000 rpm I got 24.9 mpg. I get about 15 in town. (this is without the new cams...not in yet).

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drove about 180 miles today, and cruising at 80 mph with the a/c on, with 4.10's at ~3000 rpm I got 24.9 mpg. I get about 15 in town. (this is without the new cams...not in yet).
Yeah my car will average at about 20-23 on the highway with the cams in... but checking against how much fuel I have left and my trip gauge its about 10-11 mpg. Yes thats some city driving too but not much and it wouldnt make sense getting less than 15 mpg with the highway driving I did the last few days.

Im more aggravated than anything. Im pretty sure my dyno tune was just rushed. They had the car for 3 days and tried to get it done in one. First day was waiting on the cam bolts and the 2nd day was waiting on the dyno tune. The tune was done at 7:30PM according to the dyno sheet. Im almost positive they just wanted to get it done and threw on a generic tune that worked a little.

Mostly im worked up comparing the fuel consumption vs performance I gained. Im using twice as much fuel to get 50 more horsepower. And thats with me being gentle on the throttle. I dont mind the cams being picky at low rpm thats how they react with such a large valve overlap. Its lumpy and I dont expect any tune to really get rid of it...

I'll just have to wait and see if anything I guess.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
The good ol' days of being n/a w/o cams:). I remember when I could drive 400 miles and not fill up when taking a trip and 300 miles normally. Now I get 200 out of tank and 300 on a trip.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
The good ol' days of being n/a w/o cams:). I remember when I could drive 400 miles and not fill up when taking a trip and 300 miles normally. Now I get 200 out of tank and 300 on a trip.
I wish I had that now with n/a and w/o cams. I get like 220, gotta love city driving!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright I just gave Bama a call and they said it would be 'no problem' getting a good tune for the hot rods. Im pulling the trigger on the tuner tonight and hopefully by the end of this week or sometime this weekend I'll have a good tune for my car. Anyways Im about to start the install of my hidden fog light grille from DG Custom... hopefully that goes on pretty easily. Pics later when its on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts