Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm new to the forums and I wanted some input about keeping my mustang. A couple of months ago I got my first car, a 1999 GT and I immediately fell in love with it. The only problem is that it has ~130k miles and after we bought it we found some rust spots in the trunk and around the door.

The car already has 4.10 gears and flowmasters with a mac prochamber exhaust. My question is should I just leave the car alone and enjoy it and wait until i can afford to buy like a 2004 with lower miles and mod that or should i continue to mod my car even with the 130k miles.

I would like to put a supercharger and have 450-500hp on it in the future but I keep seeing threads about how running high boost on an old motor is dangerous, and by the time i can afford a supercharger the car is going to have around 150k/160k miles.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
Depends on your budget, I always try to start with a clean car, rust is the enemy, mechanical issues are easily fixed. I'd have no issue boosting a high-k motor.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
This is one of those things that would be up to you. Either can work.

If you plan on selling the 99, don't mod it. If the car is in decent shape, you can hang onto it. There are some people with high milage boosted engines and no problems. Of course that's assuming you keep the same engine. If you want to push closer to 500 it might be a good idea to get a forged shortblock anyway. Regardless of the age, the connecting rods will let go around the 450-500hp range.

Oh and welcome to MM from about an hour south of you. :wave

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
For what the diffrence would be to sell yours and get a newer one, you could fix the things wrong with yours, then have mod money, as stuff has went bad on my 02, I replace it with performance products. It justifies the spending for myself then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any way to get rid of the rust? It's only a little bit and if i can get rid of it before it spreads then I'll do that. It's on the inside of the trunk under the carpet.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
Grind it down and coat it with POR15, but if you see rust there its either everywhere or the trunk has a leak. I'd coat what you can and then have the car oil sprayed with a good drippy oil spray, like Krown.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. I think i'll just leave it alone until after college and try and find an 03-04 cobra to be my baby.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
you could sell that and end up with a lemon too. Mine has slight rust on some spots but cant see it inless you know where it's at. Up to you man. a 32k might blow before your 160k motor. never know man

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've thought about that before and that's part of the reason I asked the question. I'm just worried that if my frame is rusted then having a lot of power could be dangerous.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
I've thought about that before and that's part of the reason I asked the question. I'm just worried that if my frame is rusted then having a lot of power could be dangerous.
It can if its ROTTED, some surface rust won't hurt anything and if you neutralize it with a good oil spray it won't spread anymore.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
I would inspect it real good and determine if the car just uh as surface rust or worse. I also would engine swap it like others have said

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is it the anniversary edition? I have a 99 as well and its my first car, idk about you but I cant imagine leaving it although it has crossed my mind a few times.

I bought mine with 145k it now has 154k in 7 months with no major problems. Starter went out... three times... and a miss fire here and there but The car runs great with no problems. I plan on boosting it as soon as I get the cash, if its running fine I dont see any problem with boosting it. If your that worried id suggest a rebuild, or even put in a 4.6 with less miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Nasty Gt Ya it is the 35th anniversary. and I know how you feel about never wanting to leave it. I'd like to keep mine and drive it until it falls apart, but if it's gonna be too much of a hassle to get it to be worth keeping then I want to mod as little as possible and keep as much value in the car as I can so that I can sell it and get one that's worth keeping.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I would keep the modding to a minimum. You can have plenty of fun with just an exhaust and 4.10s so I might do some visual stuff, but if you're gona supercharge it, you should start with a clean slate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts