1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
theres no point to it imo , unless u got a shaker hood

·
Registered
594 Posts
The grill lets in enough air as is, so you won't see any gains really. If you want a cooler engine get a different thermostat..

·
KCCO
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The grill lets in enough air as is, so you won't see any gains really. If you want a cooler engine get a different thermostat..
Any suggestions? Can you post a link to a good thermostat?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
yes..google search it. about 1 month ago there was a long thread on this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
dont just slap a new thermostat in your car and call it a day. to really set it up you need to adjust your fan controller to turn on sooner since its set up for a 195 or so. Also running a cooler thermo on a stock tune will do nothing but harm unless you are over heating to the point where your timing is getting pulled. Only time I would say change to a cooler thermo is when your tuning and trying to get every last bit of power out of it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think its pointless to switch thermostats unless you are blown or turbo'd or use a high nitrous shot. Just my two cents...I wouldn't go any lower than 180 degrees or so..I think I remember in autos in highschool that the optimum engine temp is 180, but I may be pulling that out of my ass...

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
And tbird, what mods do you have that you ran the 12.88? What do you the best I could do is with my mods?
Funny thing is that my car was actually broken when I ran that time. After I fixed the suspension and everything, I was only able to run 12.90s.

I have all my power mods listed in my garage, but basically it is mild bolt-ons, and a set of blower cams that are in need of changing out since I no longer have a blower obviously. I have some meaty tires and some suspension work as well. Practice at the track is going to be the main ingredient to getting your ETs down.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts