Modded Mustang Forums banner

Should I make my hoop scoop functional?

2K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Cruzzer08 
#1 ·
Give me your opinions.
Idk... I've read good and bad things about doing it.

See less See more
#19 ·
Funny thing is that my car was actually broken when I ran that time. After I fixed the suspension and everything, I was only able to run 12.90s.

I have all my power mods listed in my garage, but basically it is mild bolt-ons, and a set of blower cams that are in need of changing out since I no longer have a blower obviously. I have some meaty tires and some suspension work as well. Practice at the track is going to be the main ingredient to getting your ETs down.

#10 ·
The grill lets in enough air as is, so you won't see any gains really. If you want a cooler engine get a different thermostat..

#15 ·
dont just slap a new thermostat in your car and call it a day. to really set it up you need to adjust your fan controller to turn on sooner since its set up for a 195 or so. Also running a cooler thermo on a stock tune will do nothing but harm unless you are over heating to the point where your timing is getting pulled. Only time I would say change to a cooler thermo is when your tuning and trying to get every last bit of power out of it.

#17 ·
I think its pointless to switch thermostats unless you are blown or turbo'd or use a high nitrous shot. Just my two cents...I wouldn't go any lower than 180 degrees or so..I think I remember in autos in highschool that the optimum engine temp is 180, but I may be pulling that out of my ass...

#23 ·
how is it "functional" is my question. Unless you are running a shaker kit, I think it is pretty silly and will probably only give you random misfires from rain. :dunno

I wouldnt do it anyway.

#24 ·
Never once had a misfire or a problem with the coil packs in the 4 years that mine has been done. the only way water gets in there is if your washing your car or if you have a hard blowing rain. Driving in rain, it doesnt get any more water under the hood than what you get from the water being splashed up from underneath. I only did mine because I was sick of the constant trickle of water always coming out from under the scoop after washing it

#25 ·
#26 ·
well, i guess if you dont like the left over water spots then i feel ya. Other than that, what are the positives? And there have been peeps have them blow off from catching air. I dont know how fast they were going but still, it blew off. I guess its just not something Im going to do.

#27 ·
I have gone over 140mph with the scoop open and it seems to lift less now than before it was functional. Also front end lift seems slightly less severe.

500th post btw!

#29 ·
when I did mine, I used my butane torch with plastic knife tip and cut the whole bracket off for the honeycomb. About 20mph and that baby bowed the center up like no tomorrow so I made up a bracket for it. If anyones going to do it, I would just keep the stock honeycomb in place and drill out the holes in it, that way you still have your support for the front

#32 ·
For intake charge: go Mach 1 shaker. For cooling: go 03/04 Cobra heat extractor. Either of which I think are more asthetically pleasing than the stock GT hood.

I don't really see how opening the scoop benefits heat transfer. Convective heat transfer is proportional to velocity. If you ram in all that air without anywhere to go, you get stagnation, or low velocity. If you want to pull more heat out, you want air going in and going out to maximize velocity. Much like the Cobra hood, it lets air flow in the grille, and out the vents, no stagnation.

If you're really ambitious you could probably create a fiberglass shell that lets you redirect the air from the scoop to your intake. Same thought as a shaker, but the scoop isn't engine mounted. That would be a pretty badass CAI/RAI.

#33 ·
Except, like the mach 1 shaker, it will show no gains because the scoop is not high enough and the air coming off the front of the car, is going up and over the scoop/ shaker, not into it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.