Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Scoot'in
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the stuff in my honda accord and I mustve done it wrong cause it ****ed it up a bit. Would rev really high after start up. I think I did something wrong but have since gotten scared of using that stuff... but I read a thread about seafoam over on SVTP.com and how it adds what seems like 20 hp. Supposed to run smoother, better etc.

What is your suggestion? Should I go for it?

I dont remember what exactly I did, but they said to put it in the vacuum lines via the PCV hose. Let it suck it up, reattach the lines and let it run through the engine basically..

I just dont want to mess anything up....

My car has 100k miles and runs okay but maybe could use a inner cleaning.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
It's not nearly as important on pushrod SN95 Cobras as it is for the 32v SN95s, but SeaFoam, used per the directions on the can, should not do anything bad to your engine. I've used it many, many times and the worst I could say happened was that there was no improvement.

I don't recommend using it in the fuel or crankcase, though; just through the vacuum.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nor should it add 20hp lol. I ran it through my 96's vacuum line and it didn't do anything noticeable besides a fun 5 minute smoke show. There are myths that it cleans off gunked up IMRC plates in DOHC 4v's but it takes a lot more than just seafoam to do that. If you do it correctly through the vacuum line though, you won't have anything to worry about.

·
Scoot'in
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Im still on the fence. If it wont do much for a pushrod engine then I'll just leave it alone for now.

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
My friend used it on his bike (Suzuki hayabusa) we have dust in here so you really feel the difference, but 20hp my ass :D

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
There are myths that it cleans off gunked up IMRC plates in DOHC 4v's but it takes a lot more than just seafoam to do that
I wouldn't call it a myth. SeaFoam is the only way of doing anything to clean the IMRCs other than pulling the intake (same for the dry intake ports). I wouldn't say that it's going to magically take completely gunked up IMRCs and make them shiny, but it certainly helps to keep them from getting gunked up in the first place.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I was contemplating Seafoaming my car just to do it, but the horror stories about it killing engines has me all worried. what is there to lose if you do it right though? nothing lol.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Yea, I've done it on multiple cars 1/3 in the vacumm (/I used the brake booster line) 1/3 in the gas tank (/fuel injectors) 1/3 in the crank case to loose up some sludge.
Here's where is iffy, lot of people say only add it to the crank case when you're close to an oil change (less than 200 miles) because if the seafoam frees up too much it could clog oil passages or your oil filter, and a lot of people say it won't hurt driving it for 3000+ miles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just throw the whole can in my gas tank right before I fill it up to mix it in there good. 1-2 MPG increase for a week or two, seems to idle better, etc.

I generally use Marvel Mystery Oil as a general fuel system cleaner lately. It is cheaper and 4oz treats 10 gallons of fuel. My car seems to like it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Maybe I'll try the gas treatment method first and see if it doesnt F up my car lol.
With 400,000 miles on my stock motor, I don't think it is harming anything. :naughty:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
With 400,000 miles on my stock motor, I don't think it is harming anything. :naughty:
Thats so manny miles...

But yes, done properly it doesnt hurt. But i personally have never gained anything from it on my car.

·
Registered
594 Posts
How is it you managed 400k mmiles?
Change your oil and do regular maintenance. Don't dog your car every time you drive it, etc.

The valvoline 300,000 mile Guarantee is no BS. It's all I have used.

·
Scoot'in
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.... so your saying use valvoline? what about amsoil, or mobil 1? or royal purple? im confursed or what oil to use.. dam.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,425 Posts
It's not nearly as important on pushrod SN95 Cobras as it is for the 32v SN95s, but SeaFoam, used per the directions on the can, should not do anything bad to your engine. I've used it many, many times and the worst I could say happened was that there was no improvement.

I don't recommend using it in the fuel or crankcase, though; just through the vacuum.
Yah, that's the way to do it. Think of the treatment as being an engine enema. ;)

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Change your oil and do regular maintenance. Don't dog your car every time you drive it, etc.

The valvoline 300,000 mile Guarantee is no BS. It's all I have used.
Seriously, you believe it's all because you keep using valvoline?

As long as you keep changing the oil with at least the Walmart cheap brand stuff, any engine has the potential to last that long or longer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Seriously, you believe it's all because you keep using valvoline?

As long as you keep changing the oil with at least the Walmart cheap brand stuff, any engine has the potential to last that long or longer.
Well not entirely...but I highly doubt your motor would be in as good condition using walmart brand oil...

Let me put it this way, for the price, Valvoline max life is the best you can get. It's a synthetic blend.

Back in the day, my dad had a 80's chevy s-10 truck and he only used Penzoil in it. A tree fell on the bed of it so he sold the truck to a buddy at work that was a mechanic on the side. He pulled the motor from the truck and he had one IDENTICAL to it. Nearly the same amount of miles, but he used valvoline. The motor my dad had was SLUDGED up like you wouldn't believe and we always change our oil in 3,000-5,000 mile intervals. The motor with valvoline was clean as you could expect from 160,000~ miles (some carbon build up here and there but almost 0 sludge.)

Not all oils are created equal. Are there better oils out there? Yes. But you have to pay a premium for them. My wallet and my 400k motor are sticking with Valvoline.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i think seafoam is a joke. just another buy me gimmick. ive got a friend who used it on his rx7. followed instructions and had the smoke show. car starting dieing after a week. now it sits under his over hang waiting to be rebuilt. i tried it in my 98 4.6L. nothing happened. im not even touching the oil conversation lol! if you want to try it. try it. we all heard horror stories and normal stories. the only stories we havent heard was it completely cleaned my engine and it runs better blah, blah, blah. no no real concrete success stories about it. so to me its a waste of time. its like that electric powered super charger they were selling at one time. really? lmao! if your that concerned about it. leave the stuff alone and change your oil regularly. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts