Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went by my local dealer yesterday and the guy at the performance shop said they had a car I really needed.....Yeah right!

Well what they have is a Shelby GT Convertible 5SPD with all the goodies. All I can say is NICE!!!!!!

Well the bottom line to the deal is no "X" plan but they only want $5500 and my 2007 (11.3K miles) to trade....What do ya'll think?

·
Born to be Wild
3,179 Posts
its the shelby GT not the GT500, right???

·
Registered
555 Posts
yeah but his car has 11k miles, for 5500 with his trade he could prolly get a new GT but he can get a shelby gt that sell around her for 40,000 or more

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
There has to be a catch, but if not, then be sure to take all the stuff off of the current car to transfer to the new one.

·
Registered
818 Posts
as long as its legit I say do it. The shelby gt's may be overpriced with the markup and all, but it's still a shelby.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'd tell them you're interested but figure out why the **** they would want to give you a shelby for 5500. Seems too good to be true. Maybe the car was in an accident and the insurance company ruled the car as totalled and they just fixed it up again. Remember if some asshole can sell you a car that was in a wreck for your car that has never been in a wreck. He will because cars are NEVER the same once they've been in an accident before. I've learned this first hand so be wary and definitely ask for a history report on the car and an inspection from a third party inspector because I recently had an issue with ford and well at my stealership "Everyone who worked on your car in both the body and service departments were fired" so just be on the lookout for sketch stuff

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
two words.... factory warranty

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car is a demo unit with 6100 miles. The trade difference does not include TT&L. I spoke to them about why the cheap deal, I am a suspicious person anyway. I seems that the vehicle is a cosmetic upgrade vehicle. I drove it and it isn't any where as quick as what I have. The add on to the sticker was around $10K. He said because my car had a complete service history at the dealership they could get it "Certified" and that made it worth more. I guess spending that extra $6.00 for oil changes was worth it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Arrange with a decent independent shop (maybe a place that really knows Mustangs) to do a very thorough looking over of it before hand and then get the dealership to let you try the car for a day or two. Bring it to the shop during this time (don't tell the dealership) and have them inspect it. It won't be free, but $250-400 is a heckuva lot cheaper than $5500 flushed down the drain. If it checks out, you won't have any worrying voices in the back of your head. If there's something wrong, maybe from an oil analysis or physical inspection of problem points, then you can always bargain that $5500 spread down some too to cover the cost plus peace of mind.

Yeah your car is going to be faster than the SGT, for sure. As for demo units... keep in mind they were driven hard by a lot of different people (who didn't intend to own the car) and 6100 miles isn't anything to scoff at.

By the same token, if the car checks out it's a very sweet deal. The SGTs may not be all that great stock, but they sure look the part.

·
Registered
192 Posts
He said because my car had a complete service history at the dealership they could get it "Certified" and that made it worth more. I guess spending that extra $6.00 for oil changes was worth it.
Any Ford, Licoln or Mercury car with less than 50,000 miles and less than 3 years old can be Certified by a Ford Dealer. Some exclusions are Shelbys and diesels.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Any Ford, Licoln or Mercury car with less than 50,000 miles and less than 3 years old can be Certified by a Ford Dealer. Some exclusions are Shelbys and diesels.
To be certified, the car has to also have a known service history (#1 reason why BMWs get 50k miles of 100% free service....) and never have been in an accident.

Those two conditions on their own disqualify a fair amount of vehicles with less than 50k miles.

Of course there's probably not a whole lot that's gonna hold back a less scrupulous dealer from certifying something that shouldn't be, but the system helps resale values so is in the honest dealers' best interests to play along. Which all boils down to buyer beware, even with certified used cars....

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
used/demo = has its share of getting the **** beaten out of it by the previous owner or owners. demo cars usually get passed around by more than 1 person.

I'd be very cautious

·
Registered
192 Posts
To be certified, the car has to also have a known service history (#1 reason why BMWs get 50k miles of 100% free service....) and never have been in an accident.

Those two conditions on their own disqualify a fair amount of vehicles with less than 50k miles.

Of course there's probably not a whole lot that's gonna hold back a less scrupulous dealer from certifying something that shouldn't be, but the system helps resale values so is in the honest dealers' best interests to play along. Which all boils down to buyer beware, even with certified used cars....
Correct, it cant have been in an accident, but doesnt require maintenance done at a Ford dealership. You do have to do a 115 pt inspection by a certified mechanic including car fax with a vehicle history summary. The vehicle history summary mentions nothing about service history for regular maintenance, just that all recalls or updates have been done. All this said, its still a used car, but has a pretty good warranty to go with it.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
the demo is going to be beaten around

also, why would you want the shelby, it doesn thave much more than your GT. just put the $5500 into the GT. the shelby GT is a over rated POS anyway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts