Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im saving up for a shortblock that will most likely come in January. However, I really want to order the 3.4" pulley before then and see what happens.

I expect 510rwhp and maybe 470rwtq @ 8psi

do yall think that is too much for the stock motor? The tune will be done either by ST motorsports or RET so I am expecting a spot on tune.

Right now the car sits at 488rwhp 440rwtq @ 6.5psi

Should I order the new pulley? Or just wait for the new motor

I normally wouldnt push the envelope this far but the torque isnt too high and the boost is low

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will retune no matter what so that is why I am considering the swap

btw: i will take your 3.4 of your hands...time to order the 3.2 for your beast

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Doesn't your tuners reduce the cost of tunes for adjustments/enhancements that require them.

My returns to the rollers only run me 175.00 which is a drop in the bucket these days. It's that first one that stings a little.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good point erin

I will be going back to whatever place I choose to retune with the new motor so it wont make much of a difference...

3.4" it is...i think :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
676 Posts
mickey, I say up it. reason being, we'll schedule the spring swap the same weekend...so if it goes, I can drive you back..I kid I kid. g'luck man. :D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Interesting UPDATE:

So I found this dyno sheet comparing my n/a pull to my 6psi pull to my current setup pull

Look at that gain from less than 1psi!

+47rwhp +46rwtq

If the 3.4" pulley makes gains anywhere near this I am looking at ~530rwhp ~485rwtq @ 8psi :eek:

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
the gains will not be as great per lb as you go higher... at least it was that way with mine... I say up it!!! as long as you aren't running slicks at the strip there is no way your going to get 500+ to hook and no hook=no damage to your stock internals

·
Registered
204 Posts
If your thinking about using your original block and put a hole in it its gonna cost you $500-$800 for a bare aluminum block.
Or you can sell the stock block and recoup some of the cost.
Or put a 3" pulley on that puppy.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
You would be pushing the envelope, Mickey.

If it is not a problem if it blows, then go for it (ie can live without car until it is forged). Otherwise, I think you are best staying where you are at until you are forged...over 500 RWHP is starting to push it. It's usually the connecting rods that go in these things as you probably are aware. If your tune is very conservative you might be fine, but any detonation at all at those power levels is going to be ugly.

I'm in the same boat...I am a pulley-swap away from doing what NastyStang has...but I really don't want to go forged this year, so I am going to stay in the 450-475 range...we'll see tomorrow - I go back on the rollers.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
go for it look at nasty he is pushing those number

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Its a 50/50 call right now...I might just order the shortblock next month and wait till then...****, i cant decide

I understand the power is not increased by the same power everytime you switch a pulley, BUT it is pretty close up until about 10psi from what I have seen from other stangs on all the forums. Even if it gains 30rwhp from this pulley instead of 45rwhp, I am still looking at ~520rwhp..decision, decisions

the ported blower makes the increase in boost very effecient in gaining power

1 - 20 of 50 Posts