Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if i should upgrade my brakes yet or not, i only have a cold air intake high flow cats and a stage 2 clutch for sure possibly and aftermarket cams, i also have 18 in wheels the rear are 10 1/2 in wide fronts are 8 1/2 in, im concerned the wheel size might be too much for my brakes to stop without wearing out prematurely any help would be appreciated.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
Na, they should be fine.
As long as they are in good workin order, good pads, rotors, you should be fine.

Also, many guys over look bleeding the brakes from time to time. Supposed to be done every couple years. A good flush will make the pedal feel like a rock again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks just had people tellin me i should wanted to double check, replacing pads when i get home from afghanistan for a drive from seattle to san francisco

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
The stock brakes should be fine but there's never a bad time to upgrade them. A junkyard '94-'98 Cobra front brake upgrade (13" rotors, PBR dual piston calipers, brackets, hoses, pads, Cobra master cylinder) is a simple, fairly inexpensive, bolt-on affair.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock brakes should be fine but there's never a bad time to upgrade them. A junkyard '94-'98 Cobra front brake upgrade (13" rotors, PBR dual piston calipers, brackets, hoses, pads, Cobra master cylinder) is a simple, fairly inexpensive, bolt-on affair.
sweet i guess ill be junk yard scroungin when i get home for brakes now....see what other treasures i can find out there too

·
Registered
176 Posts
the stock brakes should be fine but there's never a bad time to upgrade them. A junkyard '94-'98 cobra front brake upgrade (13" rotors, pbr dual piston calipers, brackets, hoses, pads, cobra master cylinder) is a simple, fairly inexpensive, bolt-on affair.
i agree!

·
Registered
176 Posts
sweet i guess ill be junk yard scroungin when i get home for brakes now....see what other treasures i can find out there too
if your a little short on cash i would just upgrade the stock rotors to drilled and slotted aftermarkets and use some premium pads. They will work better then stock and wont break the bank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I upgraded mine with drilled & slotted rotors & ceramic pads front + rear , it made a huge improvement & hardly any brake dust. Also ceramic pads are very kind to the rotors unlike metallic pads

·
Registered
489 Posts
Keep an eye out for a set of Cobra calipers from 94-04. They all fit your car. I got mine on Ebay years ago from I believe a 2002 Cobra for $200 shipped and they were in great condition. I later got a cheap set of Cobra slotted/drilled rotors and SS lines from Ebay as well. All together came to just under $400. Been using the same setup for years now including lots of track events that beat up on the calipers. I have since warped those cheap rotors and now just use stock auto parts rotors. The calipers themselves are due for a rebuild and I already have the parts to do it. They cost $12. All it is is new seals and rubber boots and their new again.

Can't go wrong with the Cobra setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts