Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently upgrade my GT brakes to Cobra brakes and I love them. I'd like to see your upgraded brakes as well, and the parts used. Are there any custom stuff like this?

Cobra calipers from Ebay
J&M stainless steel brake lines
Hawk HPS pads
Centric rotor
10th anniversary paint scheme

·
Dat guy
483 Posts
I have powerstop brakes and pads from AM, imo not much of an upgrade,
pros: drilled and slotted. Cheap.
Cons: needs to be regularly cleaned or pads turn blue and stick, and they arent any stoppier (lol) than stock gt brakes.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,527 Posts
Back when they still sold them I bought the FRPP 13" Cobra front brake upgrade kit because I had a bad front caliper and decided to up grade. It was the first modification I did to the car. It came with calipers, brackets, pads, discs and lines. Ford stopped selling the kit so now we have to piece together the parts. It looked like yours except the calipers were dark gray not red. I was still running stock calipers, pads, and disc on the back.

The Autozone discs rust. They are not zinc coated. I went through two new sets of rear pads and discs without hardly any wear on the FRPP 13" front so I decided to so something different. I bought drilled and slotted, zinc coated front and rear discs with Hawk HPS pads from Speed Concepts. The package is specifically assembled for cars running 13" Cobra front and 10.5" GT rears.
1994-2004 Cobra Cross Drilled Slotted rotors/pads kit fits GT/V6, Speed Concepts

There was nothing wrong with my front Cobra pads and discs. I still have them sitting in the garage. I just wanted to do something better with the rear brakes.

When I get time I'll take a picture and post it. You have to remember, though, that my front calipers have been on the car 11 years (around 140,000 miles) and the discs have been on it 5 1/2 years. (Come to think of it the rear calipers are original factory. I had to change the passenger bracket once because the sliders were so rusted I couldn't get them out.)

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Went with the Cobra R upgrade, myself:

Work great. Substantially improved pedal feel and stopping power. Haven't had any brake fade problems with either the stock or Cobra R brakes, so not much to report on that end. Tradeoff being that they are DIRTY all the time.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I got a steal on a complete Mach 1 brake kit on craigslist. I paid $80 for front & rear Mach 1 calipers and rotors. the rotors that came with it were shot so I ended up rebuilding the calipers, getting Maximum motorsport SS lines and powerstop rotors & pads. had the calipers powder coated and i think they fill out bullitt wheels nicely.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have powerstop brakes and pads from AM, imo not much of an upgrade,
pros: drilled and slotted. Cheap.
Cons: needs to be regularly cleaned or pads turn blue and stick, and they arent any stoppier (lol) than stock gt brakes.
I was running those before I upgraded. I liked them but they weren't miles better than stock like most reviews put them. I am actually still running them in the rear, but I plan to clean and paint the calipers too. I ran into a problem where the pads were getting low and creating noise. Plus the rotor was warped, and one of calipers was going bad so I figured I'd upgrade.

Back when they still sold them I bought the FRPP 13" Cobra front brake upgrade kit because I had a bad front caliper and decided to up grade. It was the first modification I did to the car. It came with calipers, brackets, pads, discs and lines. Ford stopped selling the kit so now we have to piece together the parts. It looked like yours except the calipers were dark gray not red. I was still running stock calipers, pads, and disc on the back.

The Autozone discs rust. They are not zinc coated. I went through two new sets of rear pads and discs without hardly any wear on the FRPP 13" front so I decided to so something different. I bought drilled and slotted, zinc coated front and rear discs with Hawk HPS pads from Speed Concepts. The package is specifically assembled for cars running 13" Cobra front and 10.5" GT rears.
1994-2004 Cobra Cross Drilled Slotted rotors/pads kit fits GT/V6, Speed Concepts

There was nothing wrong with my front Cobra pads and discs. I still have them sitting in the garage. I just wanted to do something better with the rear brakes.

When I get time I'll take a picture and post it. You have to remember, though, that my front calipers have been on the car 11 years (around 140,000 miles) and the discs have been on it 5 1/2 years. (Come to think of it the rear calipers are original factory. I had to change the passenger bracket once because the sliders were so rusted I couldn't get them out.)
You can actually still get them through LMR (well, remanufactured), but it's cheaper to piece your own kit together. I spent about $500 and that included stainless steel lines and Hawk pads. I'm still running stock in the rear, but I have been considering upgrading just for the looks. I know it's no more braking performance. The calipers arrived bare and I painted them.

Went with the Cobra R upgrade, myself:

Work great. Substantially improved pedal feel and stopping power. Haven't had any brake fade problems with either the stock or Cobra R brakes, so not much to report on that end. Tradeoff being that they are DIRTY all the time.
That is an upgrade. I thought about going down that road but couldn't bring myself to spend $1300 on brakes. I was planning on upgrading to GT500 Brembos but some money went to another area of the car and I needed to buy new calipers anyway so I went with the Cobra calipers for now. I'll probably eventually upgrade to Gt500 calipers but for now this was worth it. Plus, these Cobra brakes are only getting rarer.

I never had brake fade with my stock brakes driving around town, but I went cruising with some friends over the summer and was pushing the car really hard and keeping up with a 2015 Lexus F-type until we got to a really technical area. About half way through this area I was coming to a corner and I pushed the brake hard and the car was slowing down then suddenly the pedal went straight to the floor and I had barely any brakes. I had completely heat soaked the brakes. Scared the crap out of me but the car didn't cross the center line. I took it easy until I could pull off and let the brakes cool. That was about 2 hours in and I am impressed the brakes lasted as long as they did.

·
Registered
256 Posts

I bought my 13" brake kit back when they were about $350, probably around the same time you did. Those kits came with the Italian cast Brembo rotors. They will last forever. I'm still on my original set, but I refuse to use them for open track. Now Brembo rotors are cast in China like almost everything else. My current StopTech slotted rotors that I use for open track are nice though and have lasted longer than the NAPA Canada/China rotors I normally use.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,527 Posts
I bought my 13" brake kit back when they were about $350, probably around the same time you did.
Yep. That's what I paid for them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you guy notice much improvement with the ss brake hoses. I have stock hoses with cobra calipers and just ordered hawk pads and rotorpros rotors and im on the fence on replacing the stock hoses with ss.

·
5,502 Posts
Do you guy notice much improvement with the ss brake hoses. I have stock hoses with cobra calipers and just ordered hawk pads and rotorpros rotors and im on the fence on replacing the stock hoses with ss.
Increased firmness of pedal feel by about 50%.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think everyone can benefit from stainless lines even with stock brakes. It certainly firms up the pedal and makes the brakes feel more responsive.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
I have Brakemotive Drilled and Slotted rotors with Wagner Thermoquiet pads and painted calipers. Not really an upgrade but I will tell you this - they are "zinc coated" but are currently rusted to all hell. This is in Florida (no salt) with 2 years of use and maybe 3k miles on them? Not too happy.

My passenger side caliper is sticking a bit so I have new calipers in the garage from Rock Auto, new brake lines (rubber because budget), new pads, and now looking for new rotors.

In my search for something better, R1 Concepts has a new rotor with Geomet coating. In speaking with a rep, apparently this is the coating companies like Mercedes Benz and BMW use on their rotors and if you look at them out and about, none of them are ever rusted. You pay a bit more, but is it hype? The product is so new that I haven't seen any real reviews online with them from users. Should be interesting for us budget minded guys looking for a long-term rust free solution. Sucks having staggered black FR500 rims on Nitto555 rubber with rusted rotors behind them. Doesn't look good.

https://www.r1concepts.com/geomet

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some pretty sweet set ups in this thread!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,527 Posts
I have Brakemotive Drilled and Slotted rotors with Wagner Thermoquiet pads and painted calipers. Not really an upgrade but I will tell you this - they are "zinc coated" but are currently rusted to all hell. This is in Florida (no salt) with 2 years of use and maybe 3k miles on them? Not too happy.
I lived in Florida about 3 blocks from a bayou. They may not lay salt down on the streets but salt is in the air and it is everywhere. I had more trouble with surface rust there than I do in Indiana. My motorcycle developed a little surface rust while sitting in the garage.

Even though I bought my Mustang in Indiana it was previously titled in Florida. It was 6 years old and I was surprised at the amount of surface rust I saw on the unpainted parts such as bolts and metal tabs. There was even a little surface rust under the dashboard. That was a surprise.

Granted, the salt in the air in Florida isn't as bad as driving through heavily concentrated salt water on our winter roads but it still corrodes things. I try to avoid driving my Mustang during snow storms but it is a daily driver and I have been caught out in them. I think the deepest snow I've driven through is around 5-6" of powder. It was coming down hard that day. After 5 1/2 years my zinc coated discs are not rusted at all. At least not rust you would associate with steel. The areas that are not touched by the brake pads are light grey with no pitting. The same color as my calipers. (After 11 years my calipers are not even close to being as dark as the picture Akurma posted.)

Edit: I looked up zinc coating. It says that zinc will tarnish and corrode first. I guess my zinc coating is in the tarnish phase which is a whole lot better than the dark rust with large pits that I was getting from the Chinese Autozone rotors.

Interesting fact: My wife's Toyota Highlander has 235,000 miles. It is driven all winter long in every weather condition including salted roads. I have changed the brakes pads without ever changing the rotors because I caught the pads before they ground into the rotor. I did not have the rotors turned down because they didn't show signs of excessive wear. So after 235,000 miles it still is running the original rotors.

By the way, the Highlander brake pads are the easiest I've ever changed. You collapse the piston before undoing anything. Then you undo one bolt and the caliper swings out of the way. Drop in the new pads and swing the caliper back down. Very easy. I wish all cars were that easy.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
I lived in Florida about 3 blocks from a bayou. They may not lay salt down on the streets but salt is in the air and it is everywhere. I had more trouble with surface rust there than I do in Indiana. My motorcycle developed a little surface rust while sitting in the garage.

Even though I bought my Mustang in Indiana it was previously titled in Florida. It was 6 years old and I was surprised at the amount of surface rust I saw on the unpainted parts such as bolts and metal tabs. There was even a little surface rust under the dashboard. That was a surprise.

Granted, the salt in the air in Florida isn't as bad as driving through heavily concentrated salt water on our winter roads but it still corrodes things. I try to avoid driving my Mustang during snow storms but it is a daily driver and I have been caught out in them. I think the deepest snow I've driven through is around 5-6" of powder. It was coming down hard that day. After 5 1/2 years my zinc coated discs are not rusted at all. At least not rust you would associate with steel. The areas that are not touched by the brake pads are light grey with no pitting. The same color as my calipers. (After 11 years my calipers are not even close to being as dark as the picture Akurma posted.)

Edit: I looked up zinc coating. It says that zinc will tarnish and corrode first. I guess my zinc coating is in the tarnish phase which is a whole lot better than the dark rust with large pits that I was getting from the Chinese Autozone rotors.

Interesting fact: My wife's Toyota Highlander has 235,000 miles. It is driven all winter long in every weather condition including salted roads. I have changed the brakes pads without ever changing the rotors because I caught the pads before they ground into the rotor. I did not have the rotors turned down because they didn't show signs of excessive wear. So after 235,000 miles it still is running the original rotors.

By the way, the Highlander brake pads are the easiest I've ever changed. You collapse the piston before undoing anything. Then you undo one bolt and the caliper swings out of the way. Drop in the new pads and swing the caliper back down. Very easy. I wish all cars were that easy.
Fantastic point. Living in Tampa I'm right off the bay. I didn't think of the salt in the air. Given the car sits in a garage and only driven 1000 miles a year I was shocked.

I might give r1 concepts rotors a try. The only other thing I could do is sand off the rust and repaint my old rotors

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
I have the typical cobra brake upgrade on the front, and soon to have them on the rear.

For those ordering cobra calipers, do NOT order A1 Cardone calipers. I've had so many issues with the driver side bracket not being right, had 3 replacements and they all had the same issue. I had good luck with the raybestos calipers though.

Running Powerstop carbon fiber/ceramic pads with Powerstop race day rotors. Had the rotors glowing red hot with no issues on the track. The pads are a great mix for weekend driving and road course. I originally had the Powerstop trackday pads, but they're not good for a car you cruise around the city in. (I road course race as well) When cold they squeal extremely loud, eat the rotors up, and they dust like crazy. On top of that, they pitted my old wheels so bad even with regular cleaning. Although when they are hot, they're absolutely amazing. They stop so well it will rip your face off.

With that being said, if your car isn't 100% dedicated to the track, I'd highly recommended the Powerstop evolution carbon fiber/ceramic pads. As they get hot they respond really well. And after 20 laps of hard high speed racing they brake dust was minimal and what dust was left came off easy.

I had no brake fade under flying into corners full throttle in 4th gear with 4 consecutive laps on a rather decent sized road course. (would have been more laps but I'm trying to dial in a cooling issue.)

I also run Russel SS flex lines in all four corners. Huge difference in pedal feel. Currently on DOT3 but that will be switched out to maybe Castrol SRF or ATE Superblue next season.

Real cobra brakes and a similar Powerstop setup will be installed as well.

For anyone doing hard brake lines, I recommend copper nickle line. Very easy to work with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
nileppezdel77!, I really like those Cobra R brakes!

I have the 03-04 Cobra front brakes myself (SVE re-brands, essentially). I HATE them. I'm not sure if it's because they are re-branded or defective, or what. My pads are constantly rattling around in the bracket. I have replaced the clips that hold the pads in place, and they still rattle over EVERY bump. It's so aggravating. My worst mod, by a long shot. I find no difference in drive-ability, but this is in daily driver use and I'm not tracking it. I'm ready to ditch these things and buy a brake kit of another brand. That Cobra R kit is looking pretty good!

Mine:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nileppezdel77!, I really like those Cobra R brakes!

I have the 03-04 Cobra front brakes myself (SVE re-brands, essentially). I HATE them. I'm not sure if it's because they are re-branded or defective, or what. My pads are constantly rattling around in the bracket. I have replaced the clips that hold the pads in place, and they still rattle over EVERY bump. It's so aggravating. My worst mod, by a long shot. I find no difference in drive-ability, but this is in daily driver use and I'm not tracking it. I'm ready to ditch these things and buy a brake kit of another brand. That Cobra R kit is looking pretty good!

Mine:
That's too bad, Cobra brakes are a pretty nice upgrade. I wish brakes for these cars were cheaper... My friend has a Pontiac Firebird and he is doing the CTS-V 4 piston Brembo brake upgrade and he will spend about the same as I did on the Cobra brakes but will be closer to the Cobra R performance.

·
5,502 Posts
There used to be a company, vintage venom I think, that had a retrofit kit for the gt500 brembos. That might be the bbk cost: improvement winner if you can find it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts