Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very strange shuttering/vibraton to where the entire cars kind of shimmies and shakes at about 25, 35, and 55 mph. Its definitely NOT the wheels and tires because I just replaced the factory ones with brand new mounted and balanced wheels/tires.

Its driving me nuts, and I need to fix it asap. Could it be driveshaft? If so, is it u-joints or does the factory driveshaft need to be rebalanced and or replaced with an aluminum unit?

I have no experience with driveshafts and dont really understand the entirety of them. All I know is that I want this issue to be resolved. The car is complety factory aside from the modifications in my signature.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Sounds like you are describing a COP or plug failure. I don't drive my Mustang enough to tell you much about it but my DD Crown Vic sports the same motor and when a COP, COP boot or plug fails it shutters like it's about to fall apart. Replace the problem COP, COP boot or plug and back to new again.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I say shutter, I mean its a vibration that I can feel in the seat of my pants...not the steering wheel. And it's only at certain speeds.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Check how tight the bolts are where the drive shaft connects to the rear differential.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Could be any number of things. When I got my car I had the same kind of issue and it turned out to be a sticking front brake caliper. I also wouldn't rule out the wheels/tires, those guys make mistakes and that could be your problem, did your problem just start after replacing the tires?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not to jack the thread, but my car vibrates when I first start it up after being shut off (even when it's warm), at like 1,600 rpms. It also does it at like 3,200 rpm as well. Once I drive for a minute, it won't vibrate anymore. It's weird.

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
Free checks:

Check driveshaft bolts. While you are under there check your U-joints
Swap wheels around

If it's the same then I'm guessing driveshaft out of balance? But it shouldn't just go out of balance. Did you hit something? has it been getting progessively worse?

I had a vibration on mine and swapped to an aluminum and its better.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
When I say shutter, I mean its a vibration that I can feel in the seat of my pants...not the steering wheel. And it's only at certain speeds.
Yes, exactly... I'd describe it more as the car is falling the hell apart. Have a shop perform a cylinder contribution test and I'll put money on a COP, boot or plug failure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts