Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone! Recently I had to change my GT500 strut mounts cause I snapped the screws trying to torque them in an effort to stop the popping, clunking, annoying noise.
Well the J&M Caster and Camber plates with the GT500 rubbers are now in. Guess what still the noise is there! It actually comes out when I'm pulling in or out my driveway when I reach the end part of it.
I have looked with the search button but I can't find much, I need help!! :(

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah! anyone!?

·
Registered
889 Posts
first of all, I just went through this same thing, and 2nd of all, on mustangforums forum there is a 213 page article about this exact thing. The most common issue is the ENDLINK bolts that connect to the strut.... Those are loose. Check those first!

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
are the springs cut at all?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I thought the Camber plates took the position of the Top mounts? No?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Check your struts... when the spring is off do they rebound (shaft extends out) on there own? They should, they are gas charged.. If they don't, if they stay compressed then you have a bad strut.. I had the same thing happen, I called and talked with J&M and after checking everything they told me to, they then told me my struts where proly bad.. They where right, new struts fixed it up.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean by "it comes out"? You can hear the noise more in those situations? Are those the only situations when you hear the noise(s)?
When the noise comes out. And yes when I get it of tue driveway and a slight curve.

first of all, I just went through this same thing, and 2nd of all, on mustangforums forum there is a 213 page article about this exact thing. The most common issue is the ENDLINK bolts that connect to the strut.... Those are loose. Check those first!
Well I put 149 lbs of torque on those if you are referring to the once on the knuckle.

are the springs cut at all?
No they are not cut

Check your struts... when the spring is off do they rebound (shaft extends out) on there own? They should, they are gas charged.. If they don't, if they stay compressed then you have a bad strut.. I had the same thing happen, I called and talked with J&M and after checking everything they told me to, they then told me my struts where proly bad.. They where right, new struts fixed it up.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they do

They rebound nicely no problems there.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
do you leave your drive way at an angle? so you don't scrape the front spoiler?

Maybe take a look at the sway bar mounts?

How steep is your drive way?

If it was a strut or something lose, you would think you would hear it all the time, but if your leaving your drive way at an angle, thats proly when you flexing/using your sway bar (one wheel higher than the other).

just a thought.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed on another forum they where talking about having someone with an impact wrench do the top nut on the strut once everything is done. Does this make sence?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you leave your drive way at an angle? so you don't scrape the front spoiler?

Maybe take a look at the sway bar mounts?

How steep is your drive way?

If it was a strut or something lose, you would think you would hear it all the time, but if your leaving your drive way at an angle, thats proly when you flexing/using your sway bar (one wheel higher than the other).

just a thought.
I thought of that too but didn't know what to adjust. When I'm on the highway it's nice and smooth.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And yes I pull out the driveway at an angle no scraping to the spoiler.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Good evening everyone! Recently I had to change my GT500 strut mounts cause I snapped the screws trying to torque them in an effort to stop the popping, clunking, annoying noise.
Well the J&M Caster and Camber plates with the GT500 rubbers are now in. Guess what still the noise is there! It actually comes out when I'm pulling in or out my driveway when I reach the end part of it.
I have looked with the search button but I can't find much, I need help!! :(
If they do replace the GT500 mounts, then how are you using the rubbers? Im confused on the camber plates

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If they do replace the GT500 mounts, then how are you using the rubbers? Im confused on the camber plates
You have to replace the rotating part of the mount in this case with the caster and camber plate. But you take the rubber part of the old mount and place it on the CC plate.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Im thinking it has to be a bind somewhere, can you see if your spring is rubbing anywhere?

Is one of your lower control arm mounts bad?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Have you gone back and checked the sway bar mounts?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will probably do that tonight or next day off. I'm at work right now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts