Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about getting a custom exhaust fabricated...I want to have a side exhaust setup, but don't want the cervini's side skirt kit (which to my knowledge is the only retail version)I'd rather just have a custom mandrel bent setup by my local guy, with some tips like my Father has on his Maverick. My only concern is that if I do this, is there going to be a noticeable loss in power/torque or any other negative side effects? I would have the new pipes exit right in front of the rear wheels

(Google Image Result for http://www.musclecardrive.com/images/specs_pics/2012_boss302_exhaust.jpg)

pretty much like where the pipes exit on that example of the Boss...

On another note, if there would be a noticeable loss, would I be better off with cutouts?

Thanks in Advance!

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
good question.. I'm interested in seeing several responses, I just purchased electric cut-outs for my 06. Hopefully they will increase power a little bit so that I didn't waste my money!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully we have someone with some answers otherwise we'll all be interested and not be able to do anything...:D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Boss has rear and side exhaust? Did not know that...
Yeah the ones that exit by the rear tires open up when the track key is in it:D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nobody has any input on this?? AHHH WTF

·
Registered
961 Posts
the only person i know that has cutouts said when his are open it feels like his car lost 80 rwhp. that is on a new edge, and he has his placed right after the headers. ive heard from others that have cutouts on different vehicles that said they felt no loss in power, so my guess is power loss depends on the placement of the cutouts. as far as side exhaust goes, google it. surely there is something on the subject.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
These cars labor bad with no back pressure. There's a massive seat of the pants loss in power so you can imagine what it would do on the rollers.

I saw a half second loss in my slip times consistently with the exhaust uncorked behind a bassani off road X. No cats, no backpressure equalled slooooooow.

With the cervinis side exhaust, they allow high flow catted X and mufflers to remain in place so the back pressure loss is nothing like being uncorked entirely. I personally believe theres still a drop.

I quickly migrated into my procharger, headers and side exhaust all basically in one shot so the loss was not long lived (I hated it matter of fact). I'd like to do cut outs and see the variance in slips uncorked and corked just to have hard numbers in that config.

I had a clip somewhere of the car making a pass with open exhaust. I'll check the hard drive when I get home tonite..

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd definitely like to heat that clip Emay. I will most likely be purchasing the Cervini side exhaust sometime this summer, I can't wait!

·
Registered
789 Posts
As let the original question.... power from exhaust is seen through back pressure, to little and the exhaust flows to freely, causing a loss in power, on NA vehicles only!! To much back pressure and your constricting the exhaust to much, making the motor work harder and loosing power. So will you see a loss in power? Id say yes. You'll have to create a 90 degree bend which will wise alot more back pressure. Will you notice it? I doubt it.

As for cut outs and power gains, on BOOSTED applications, cutouts come in handy for a very easy and quick horsepower upgrade because eliminates any and almost all back pressure, causing the form of boost to work more effienctly. Now for a NA car, you need the back pressure. So cut outs will hinder you, alot. Idk about 80hp but you'll feel it.

My buddy dynod a before and after with cut outs on a big turbo srt4 first with just a cat back he put down like 420 to the wheel and with the cut out open he was in the 450 range.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
These cars labor bad with no back pressure. There's a massive seat of the pants loss in power so you can imagine what it would do on the rollers.

I saw a half second loss in my slip times consistently with the exhaust uncorked behind a bassani off road X. No cats, no backpressure equalled slooooooow.

With the cervinis side exhaust, they allow high flow catted X and mufflers to remain in place so the back pressure loss is nothing like being uncorked entirely. I personally believe theres still a drop.

I quickly migrated into my procharger, headers and side exhaust all basically in one shot so the loss was not long lived (I hated it matter of fact). I'd like to do cut outs and see the variance in slips uncorked and corked just to have hard numbers in that config.

I had a clip somewhere of the car making a pass with open exhaust. I'll check the hard drive when I get home tonite..
This... I did the same as Erin and has the procharger and side exhaust on only days apart and didnt drive it much in between. THe couple times I took it out I noticed a little loss but I was more focused on the exhaust and the chills it gave up my spine.

Something to think about though, is that Cervinis version doesnt go straight to the side from the midpipe. It comes back a bit and then circles back forward to the sides so your not really losing much piping.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I dont see why you would lose any power if you went with a mid muffler setup and side exiting exhaust. The bends would be about the same with maybe a little less.

My Vette has slip in mufflers on the full side exhaust and its a lot louder but still has the right back pressure. Plus burnouts look cool :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
^ although there may be less bends, that 90 degree angle is a killer. I know the 2v guys loose alot because of it. Maybe they've perfected the art since then but like I said I don't think it'd be anything you would really notice on a naturally aspirated motor.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
ok so since the Cut-out thing came up... has anyone heard of power increases/decreases while running them on nitrous??

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Yeah the ones that exit by the rear tires open up when the track key is in it:D
Actually you have to physically go under the car and remove the blanking plate to have the side exhaust open. It is not computer controlled.

^ although there may be less bends, that 90 degree angle is a killer. I know the 2v guys loose alot because of it. Maybe they've perfected the art since then but like I said I don't think it'd be anything you would really notice on a naturally aspirated motor.
The 2V side exhaust made a 150 degree bend right after the muffler and then a 70 degree bend to go towards the side of the car. The 3V side exhaust has about 150 degree bend in it.

2V kit

·
Registered
141 Posts
I ran the cervinis kit a few years back, I lost some power in mine as well. Now I'm running the exhaust in the forward position on the side skirt. Basically right below the front fenders. I haven't dyno'd the car yet so I'm not sure in power gain or lost.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I ran the cervinis kit a few years back, I lost some power in mine as well. Now I'm running the exhaust in the forward position on the side skirt. Basically right below the front fenders. I haven't dyno'd the car yet so I'm not sure in power gain or lost.
Thats just cool.... Any better pics??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks, this is when I had BBK LTH, no cats and 10 series flowmasters.
Vid clip

She's changed abit since these pics, new motor and hood now

1 - 20 of 26 Posts