Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might just be more paranoid then anything, but I was making 10psi. I was on the dyno last week, and only made like 8psi. So I was thinking belt slip, today I got on it, it hit about 7psi. Max. When I blew the oil return line, some got on the pulleys and ****, so do you think the oil ruined that belt? Thats whats causing it to slip? Or could my blower be going bad? I would think if it was a seal, Id be leaking oil right?

I ordered a Gates 107.5" belt, right now its a $15 duralast 108" belt (little to big) so do you think thats my issue? I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
belt could have stretched over time and the warmer weather may be helping it stretch a bit causing it to slip a bit. Could be wrong its just a guess.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Yeah the gates belt should help you a lot. I've had my blower at 14psi with the gates belt and no slip at all.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a Vortech pulley? I still have the 2.87 I bought off you.

Your making 14psi, are you on the stock motor? Cams? How much power? I forget your setup man, its been a long ass time since you posted lol

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Bearing noise, oil leaks are the usual signs of a bad supercharger with the result being loss of boost. Both oil on a belt and a belt that is too large will cause slippage. A weak tensioner spring will cause it as well. You might try to clean your belt with belt dressing. I don't know if its recommended or not but I sprayed a little brake cleaner on mine when I got a bit sloppy with oil.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Yeah I have a vortech pulley. That was with the 3.12 pulley I had. I'm only running a 3.33" right now with vt stage 2 blower cams.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bearing noise, oil leaks are the usual signs of a bad supercharger with the result being loss of boost. Both oil on a belt and a belt that is too large will cause slippage. A weak tensioner spring will cause it as well. You might try to clean your belt with belt dressing. I don't know if its recommended or not but I sprayed a little brake cleaner on mine when I got a bit sloppy with oil.
Its so hard to tell with the bearings because the V1 is so loud. But it still sounds the same, so Im assuming no issues. I seriously doubt the blower is going bad, Idk why but that thought randomly popped up in my head.

I think its just a case of a shitty Duralast belt, some oil got on it, and its to big. The Gates 107.5 will be a lot better I think. The tensioner was replaced not to long ago, thats what was causing the belt to jump over a rib or tear completley. But Ive had all 6 ribs ever sence I did that.

Yeah I have a vortech pulley. That was with the 3.12 pulley I had. I'm only running a 3.33" right now with vt stage 2 blower cams.
I see, how much power are you making?

·
Registered
2018 Mustang GT Manual
1,592 Posts
My first sign of a bad blower is when she doesn't swallow.

j/k. It's probably the belt. Can you tell if it's slipping or not? The only other thing I could think of is the bearings or worse some crap got in there and chewed up the impeller.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:lmao

Its hard to tell but it just goes to like 7psi and kind of bounces alittle.

·
Registered
2018 Mustang GT Manual
1,592 Posts
It's probably the belt slipping. Especially if oil got on it. For safe measure you might clean the pullies once the old belt is off. Belts are cheap so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If that doesn't fix it then you might pull it out and take a look inside. You just never know cause the vanes in those things are very sensitive to damage. However I highly doubt anything ever made it in there in the first place.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's probably the belt slipping. Especially if oil got on it. For safe measure you might clean the pullies once the old belt is off. Belts are cheap so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If that doesn't fix it then you might pull it out and take a look inside. You just never know cause the vanes in those things are very sensitive to damage. However I highly doubt anything ever made it in there in the first place.
:lmao

Lol belts are "kind" of cheap, $40 and cant get it in the store around here. Then changing belts on a centri, omfg I hate it. Its such a pain in the ass. Need to get it up on ramps, back the bracket off, wedge the belt in a place you really cant even see, ef that.

But yeah I will, thanks for the help man, reps for you.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
:yes A real pain. With the ProCharger bracket I have to take the bracket and head unit completely off and I still haven't learned to get the new belt back on without help.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? Completley off? That sucks. I take out all 4 of the main bolts, then I have someone lift it up and pull forward towards the front of the car so I can sneak the belt in on that idler. Then getting it all re-aligned and all that bs, its not fun at all.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Mine made 9psi with a Gates belt originally and then after about a month it dropped off to 6psi, but the car didn't feel any slower. I've also seen 4psi, 7psi, saw 8psi a few months ago in cold weather. I don't know what the deal is, but the belt will stretch over time.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Really? Completley off? That sucks. I take out all 4 of the main bolts, then I have someone lift it up and pull forward towards the front of the car so I can sneak the belt in on that idler. Then getting it all re-aligned and all that bs, its not fun at all.
I'm usually replacing it by myself then my wife comes out to hold the belt on the crank and power steering pulleys while I slip it over the tensioner pulley. A 108" belt barely fits. And yes, getting all the shims back in the right places is bs. Even when it looks perfect I get a little wear on the side of the belt.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
this is exactly why i sold my s/c.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts