Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what factory ford cams can i buy that would get me the greatest gains with my 98 cobra and would work well with a turbo? Ford GT cams, gt500? i dunno if i want to pay 1600 for custom grinds...although i do love the "cammed out" mustang sound, but i heard you cant do that with a turbo car.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
GT cams would be your best bet as far as a factory stock head is concerned. You already have the most aggressive cams the 4Vs offer in the 96-98 intake cams. You won't get but maybe 10-15 though. I'd save up get some custom grinds if I were you.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The real "lopey" cams are for non forced induction power. They have a completely different design to get power from FI cars and the cam sounds much more tame compared to NA cams.

for the price compared to power I'd avoid cams until you need them. Besides the cam pretty much dictates exactly what setup you will need to make power. Better to do them close to last if not last. Cams are usually the final piece of the puzzle that makes the whole combo "click" and make much more power. By themselves though they do very little but on a full bolt on car they do quite a bit more.

Also if you're stock and not getting much power from them, dont forget cams also really hurt fuel economy. Usually the mpg hit is felt less when putting in the cam will net you 50hp or more if matched properly. I wouldnt accept the lower mpg unless it bought me more power than 10-20hp

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i do have the stock B heads, but mine are raceported. i dont think they even make an aftermarket head setup for my car.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
FR500 heads are the only aftermarket 4V heads that I'm aware of. And those are NOT cheap.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
if you have or are intalling a set of hair dryers and on a budget for cams, i would look into the GT cams. they will do very well with the boost, and cost is generous as well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i have the twin setup. i dunno if i really even need cams. im not gona have a lack for horsepower, as im sure i can make the 550-600hp range easily. i just LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the sound of a cammed car.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
The lopey sound of a cammed car is usually only heard on NA applications not FI.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
yea that famous cam sound is mainly do to the overlap, which on a FI car you really dont need as the air is being shoved in anyway. in very general terms anyway

Ford GT cams seem to work out to be a deal. decent amount of lift on them.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I love mine. It does have a little rougher idle to it from the cams but not a whole lot and they realy make a difference on the top end. With your setup you will benefit from a set of them in your car. They are worth it for the money if you ask me.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what would be a reasonable cost for them? i thought that my intake cams were the most aggresive stock cam available?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh ok. i dont really know much abotu cams at all. i will definitely keep my eye open for some GT cams. thanks all for all ur 2cents.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
You can call steve at Tousley Ford and he can hook you up with a set pretty cheap. He is who I call when I want Ford or FRPP parts.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sweet. what can i expect to pay for them? rough idea?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not bad. i actually saw a set of GTcams on ebay from AMPerformance for like 580. it says they are for 07/08 gt500's tho. would they fit my car anyway?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
has anyone seen this youtube video?
its a mustang with twin turbo that is cammed out like crazy. how can this car sound like that with turbos?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts