Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have found a split port motor on craigslist for $500. it has 54,000 miles and the owner says it runs great no leaks or problems. i emailed him to see if the wireing harness and computer comes with it.

but the real question is how hard is it to swap a single port to a split port? any advice is welcomed

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I wouldn't imagine it would be too bad. I mean the hardest part would probably be the wiring. And if he doesn't have the wiring harness I have an extra laying here. I'll have to put a pic up and see if everythings there though. And I'm not sure but I think the speedo is mechanical in yours, which I don't know how much of a difference that would make anyway. Oh are you auto or manual? That would matter for the wiring harness I think.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am an auto and the motor is from an auto car so i would guess that i could just use the computer from the same car the motor was from cause he said the motor has an auto tranny hooked up to it right now but he will sell them separate

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i got some details. he said it was from a 2002 and that i can't get the computer for me. but i can have the wiring harness. is $500 a good deal for a split port motor that has 54,000 miles. and what would i have to do as far as the computer goes? could i just get a tune and the stock 98 computer work?

oh and btw my motor has 141,000 miles on it and is single port so i could not only use it because i need more HP but i need a fresh motor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice- low miles!

Sounds like a good deal- grab it now, and just work out the details later! I'm pretty sure you could find a used ECU if you end up needing it. (PM me if you need a good used 'stang parts dealer) Not sure about the speedo' issue, though...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
because the single port v6 (94-98) puts out 150 HP stock. the split port (99-04) puts out 193 HP stock and has alot more better mods that you can do to it. plus it is an easy swap im guessing and it would take some millage off my car motor.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was hoping chriss could maybe chime in and give me some advice i know he is one of the best with the v6. especially the split port.;););)

·
Registered
270 Posts
you dont need the computer from him and dont really need the wireharness ...... i just got doing the swap on my 96 and its not to bad just takes time ........ do you plan on just swaping the upper end or are you going to use the whole engine ? if your just doin the top end you dont need the computer or the wire harness

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i was thinking the whole thing because my motor has 141000 miles on it soo im sure that the rings and such things are getting old.

·
Registered
477 Posts
because the single port v6 (94-98) puts out 150 HP stock. the split port (99-04) puts out 193 HP stock and has alot more better mods that you can do to it. plus it is an easy swap im guessing and it would take some millage off my car motor.

94 & 95 - 140hp
96-98 150hp
99-03 - 190hp
04 - 195hp(i think...since they were 3.9L)
05+ 210hp

i would just buy the motor and just do the split port swap....transfer the heads/upper and lower intake manifold. Then once done, keep the 02 V6 block and build it with forged internals. Once ur done pull out the old motor and put that one in :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
honestly thats the best thing to do build the bottom end on the 02 and swap when its done i just blew a ring in cylender #6 and it sux ...... but my car is also s/c so that probaly didnt help ......... and right now im doing the internals so probaly would be better to do it once doing it twice sux trust me i no

1 - 12 of 12 Posts