Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering buying a 1987 Ford Mustang GT for $2,400. It's all original. No dents or rust. Interior looks absolutely brand new. Paint is faded. It's been sitting for 2 1/2 years. It was filled with all fluids, including antifreeze, and covered with a tarp before he let it sit. Supposedly it started right up, with a new battery, and smoked black for a couple minutes. Then the black smoke went away. I live in the Pacific Northwest, where we usually have hot summers & cold winters.

So what I would like to know is: What sort of things am I going to want to do to get it up and running as a daily driver?

The guy at Autozone told me to take off the fuel tank and take it apart to clean out all the varnish, replace the fuel filter, and run some Seafoam through it. Another guy said that since it was stored 2 1/2 years ago, that the gas that's in there is better than any pump gas you can buy. He said to just drive it, and I'll find out.

Thank you for your time & consideration.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you have started the engine after sitting 2.5 years, non of the following matters. If not , try to follow as much of below as possible.

At least 4 of the cylinders will have rust in there because the intake and exhaust valves being open. Don't turn the engine over.
Pull the plugs, put a little W-D 40 in each hole. Pull the valve covers off and put some oil on each vale seal and rocker arm. Drain the oil and put new oil and filter. Take the air hose off the throttle body , open the butterfly and put a little W-D 40 in the intake. Drain the gas, anything made from oil has a shelf life. Auto trans, Go to Ford and get a trans filter, pan gasket and trans oil to change the trans oil. go to a cheap place to buy oil and buy 3 qts of cheat trans fluid, put this fluid in the trans before you drain the trans and change the filter, this will raise the fluid level in the trans above the bands and clutches. Stick-don't do anything. Put new gas in the tank, spark plugs back in, valve covers on, battery charged, Fire it up. It will smoke for a few min and then go away, you will have saved the cylinder walls from being scratched and all other engine components from rust/lack of oil damage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The guy at Autozone told me to take off the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter, and run some Seafoam through it. Another guy said that since it was stored 2 1/2 years ago, that the gas that's in there is better than any pump gas you can buy. He said to just drive it, and I'll find out.
Seafoam certainly wont hurt anything. I don't think it'd be a bad idea to run that through the gas and the oil just to clean it at the very least.

And last time I checked, gasoline isn't like wine where it gets better with age :p I'm no expert but I certainly wont be looking for gas thats been sitting around for 2 years to put in my car.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Just do some fluids, check some hoses, check the tires before you drive. Usually everything will be fine on start up as long as it really isnt just a crap heap. I pulled a camaro out of a field, brought it home, drained no fluids, absoulutely nothing after 4 or 5 yrs of sitting, threw a battery in it and no **** it fired up and ran fine. I cleaned it later that day and then the fluids because I do what I want. ;) good luck and drain the fluids out. inspect belt etc. you know whats right....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. So he may have damaged the cylinders, and other components by simply starting it after letting it sit for 2 1/2 years? I have to drive it 80 miles to get it back to my house. Oh, and by the way, it's a 5-speed transmission.

So I would:

1.) Inspect the belts & hoses
2.) Check the brakes
3.) Have the oil changed
4.) Fill it up with gas
5.) Top off the gas with a canister of Seafoam

And after I get it home:

Take off the fuel tank & clean out the varnish from the old gas
Replace the fuel filter
Change the spark plugs

What am I missing here?

Thank you for all your help & support. I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my questions.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Check all your fluids, my Camaro sat for only a couple months before I bought it, But I pulled the radiator cap off and noticed that a lot of build up had been caked up within it, had to drain it, disconnect all plumbing to it and wash it out, refill it before I even started it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts