Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im getting real sick of that damn skyscraper of an antenna on the front of my car so..

my question is if i cut it will it effect my signal and how can i get the ball of the antenna back on to the cut part??

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
I know plenty of guys that have done the antenna mod and haven't had any radio signal issues. Just use a hammer to tap the ball back onto the antenna...

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright sounds good to me... does the ball screw off or is it pressed on? ohh and u guys have any pics

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I cut mine down to roof height, and I don't have any signal issues here. The ball is pressed on. I shaped the end to press-fit back into the ball, put just a bit of JB Weld in the ball, then tapped it back on.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
You should be able to use the claw end of a carpenter's hammer to get the ball off...

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should be able to use the claw end of a carpenter's hammer to get the ball off...
ahh nice good idea ill have to try that

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got any suggestions on how short i should cut it??

·
Registered
392 Posts
Its easier to get the ball back on after you cut it if you grind it just a bit, and then use a little epoxy. Your radio signal shouldn't be bothered.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
i bought the 14" antenna from AM and now my radio signal sucks balls. would a cut down stock antenna get better signal? but then again, i live in rural nowhere so that probably doesnt help...

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I have the 8in one and if you dont have your presets before you change it you cant find them after. Just goes through all the stations. But I listen to CD's and the 8in looks so much better.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The had been bugging me too. I'm just about to the point of cutting my stock one down to size as soon as I have a saw to use. Let me know how long you leave it so I can cut mine too.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I cut mine down to 8", my dad cut his down to 14" and both work fine.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Let me just tell you. I did it the DIY way. and if you don't have the right tools to cut that antenna with, it turns a easy 10 minute project into a nightmare haha. That antenna is one thick/strong piece of metal. and getting that ball off was other issue.

I still have to paint mine..

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't listen to the radio.... But still have the skyscraper antenna. I suck :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts