Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or so ago a friend of mine and I were talking (won't go into details as I'm not sure it's allowed on this forum) and I came up with a great sleeper stang.
I did some research on what the stock 5.0 block could handle, etc, and still have this question:
Could a stock 1988 Mustang GT handle a centri supercharger, nitrous, and gears?
From what I can tell, the stock block is good til about 450-500hp, and on another front shouldn't be run with more than 10psi boost. With forged pistons, it could handle no more than a 150shot of nitrous, and with the supercharger, that should be in the 425hp range. That's good for the horsepower, but I didn't see anything about whether or not the block could take 10psi AND nitrous.
Also, I realize that stock exhaust and everything wouldn't help the vehicle, but would running that stuff without ANY other upgrades do any damage ?
How feasible is this idea ?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
would 10psi and nitrous push you over 500 crank? run 6lbs and a 15 shot

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought centrifugal superchargers weren't that loud. Definitely alot quieter than roots or turbos.
Am I missing something that makes this not a sleeper ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
maybe... use the money your gonna spend on the supercharger and build a real sleeper.... meaning stroked 302 or maybe built/stroked 351... you could easily get over 425hp.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dude, it's a 5.0 mustang. No one will be surprised if it walks them, they range from 200hp to 1000+. Just run more boost, dont spray it also.

If you want to make a sleeper then build another car.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Build yourself a Crown Vic and keep the white walls and AARP sticker on it ;)

+1 on the no way for a fox body being confused with a sleeper. Sure some are faster than others but no one expects it to be slow. You might be able to fool someone if you had a built 2.3 turbo that actually looked and sounded like a regular 2.3 but that is about it.
And for the S/C, don't get an older Vortech V-1, you can hear those things for blocks at idle. I've seen a stock looking fox that had rusty aluminum heads but he had different motivations.

·
Registered
63 Posts
haha, good call mustank. you could pull a honda and paint it 6 and a half different colors

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Get a beat up pinto if you want a sleeper.

Or just spend the money to build up a nice 5.0 and get a plate that says " Stock 5.0 " Gets em every time! ;)

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
A lincon town car, or some sort of wagon with a built 351w would be cool as hell.

but no one is going to bet you enough money to make it worth while. Big money come's from gruge matchs vs very very fast cars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya know I appreciate all the opinions and stuff, but nobody really answered my questions.
Plus, I know foxbodys are quick, but for one to look and sound stock to run with nearly 500hp ? I'm talking no extra exhaust notes, no body work or cowl hoods, no cam loping (if that's the word for it). When people see it and hear it driving around they'll think it's a stock 1988 Ford Mustang, then when they race me they won't be able to keep up.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Fooled in that they think it is a stock Cyclone or fooled because they don't even know what a Cyclone/Typhoon is. I guess that would depend on the type of crowd your in.
fooled in the sence that most people assume it's a v8 s10 and without big dr's on the back it ain't going to hook for ****..

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Ya know I appreciate all the opinions and stuff, but nobody really answered my questions.
Plus, I know foxbodys are quick, but for one to look and sound stock to run with nearly 500hp ? I'm talking no extra exhaust notes, no body work or cowl hoods, no cam loping (if that's the word for it). When people see it and hear it driving around they'll think it's a stock 1988 Ford Mustang, then when they race me they won't be able to keep up.

:no

you are wanting 500 HP without a cam??? i mean sure you can get exhaust that doesn't sound loud at idle..maybe that'll confuse them....but as far as seeing 500 HP without hearing the cam or anything else its not gonna be possible. As far as the pistons holding up if they're forged i don't see why not, buddy of mine with a Termi was running 16lbs of boost and a 175 shot...and didn't blow his up..but thats not saying every motor is the same...put enough fuel in it and hope for the best..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts