Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to post this in the drag section but it doesn't seem like it gets too much action over there. Anyway has anybody ever used slicks from Towel City Retreading? They have 225-60-16 slicks for $85 each. They are H rated and soft compound. The company has apparently been around since 1935, involved in racing. They offer a bunch of racing tires. I was thinking about giving them a shot. Thanks guys.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I dont think those are drag tires, more of a handling tire for road racers. Drag slicks cant be retreaded.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Huh, well let me know how they work, and I might try some of the drag radials. Just doesnt seem like it will work since the heat you put in a drag tire would soften the glue holding the recap on?

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
. Just doesnt seem like it will work since the heat you put in a drag tire would soften the glue holding the recap on?
^^^ THIS...

Seeing a ungodly amount of caps fly apart on truck tires, I would NEVER run anything like that on a slick or dr.

You're asking for a accident i think.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh, well let me know how they work, and I might try some of the drag radials. Just doesnt seem like it will work since the heat you put in a drag tire would soften the glue holding the recap on?
If they are under $200 shipped I will give it a shot. If they have been around since 1935 they have to be doing sonething right. :)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
If they are under $200 shipped I will give it a shot. If they have been around since 1935 they have to be doing sonething right. :)
They may have been around, but you said this is a new product, no? I've never been a fan of retreads on anything. Just not worth the risk in my opinion. If that thing would seperate, can you imagine the damage it could do to your quarters?

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Hey, this is just my .02

You can save a little money on a lot of things on our cars, I do believe that there are things that you shouldn't cut corners on. Good oil/fluids, Good helmet, and Good tires. Believe me I hate spending money on tires that are not a permanent mod, but you can not put a dollar amount on Piece of Mind. Get some good tires, and next time your warming up at the water box, Know that when you make a pass down the track, you will be coming back.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They may have been around, but you said this is a new product, no? I've never been a fan of retreads on anything. Just not worth the risk in my opinion. If that thing would seperate, can you imagine the damage it could do to your quarters?
Your probably right, I can just see the cap flying off ripping the hell out of the wheel well. How many runs do you usually get out of a pair of slicks before they are junk. Not trying to be a cheap b%stard but trying to have a budget.

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
Besides tearing up the car. You could slam the wall and get hurt. Non of us want to see any of us get hurt and see something like that happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I would never buy a re-treaded slick. What compound are they using? What's gonna happen if/when those treads decide to come loose? I'll tell you what...

Put you into a wall doing 100+ AND it'll rip your quarter panels the **** UP. Just saying...

Buy new hoosiers for 200 a pop. Well worth it.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Good stuff, happy racing.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Also an H speed rating is only a 130mph speed rating, so if you are planning on going more than 130mph in the quarter these tires are definitely not for you. This means they are only rated to be safe up to 130mph.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also an H speed rating is only a 130mph speed rating, so if you are planning on going more than 130mph in the quarter these tires are definitely not for you. This means they are only rated to be safe up to 130mph.
I wish 130 was in my future in the 1/4. I would pop a tremendous woody. Hell I will be happy as hell if I get 101 or 102 next season. It lookin like M and H or Mickey Thompsons.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had sent out an email to Towel Tire and asked them if the retreaded slicks would come apart during warm up burnouts. I was expecting a detailed answer about how they use special bonding techniques etc. I got this response. "You shouldn't have a problem Thanks". Are you serious?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Another reason to not buy them!

I would use these slicks in this order...

Hoosiers
Mickey Thompsons
M&H

All are good. I've personally used mickeys with great luck. My friend has hoosiers with basically stock suspension running low 12s/high 11s and he dead hooks dumping the clutch at 5,500 rpms.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
just for thought, the adhesives they have developed today are crazy.
even some they use on cars today, stronger than actual welds,
some of these adhesives have really high tensile strengths and some are made to withstand really high temperatures..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts