Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the track last weekend and I had trouble hooking up on take off, so I was thinking about getting slicks. I talked to someone at the track with an 03 mach 1 that said the factory axles or spline or something in the rearend isn't strong enough for slicks and if it didn't break right away it would eventually.

First of all my question is if this is true, secondly what is it that needs to be upgraded and how much/how much work, and thirdly what slicks would you recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
As far as brand of slicks, I mostly see Hoosier. Just get two cheap rims from craigslist to put them on.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
factory are 28 spline axles, they are weak and usually snap at the spline. You would want to convert to 31 spline. The cheapest way to do that is to go on LMR and get their 31 spline conversion kit.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
you would need the top one. the second one is just the diff, you would still need to get 31 spkine axles with it

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I see on other sites that you can go higher than 31 spline. Would that be a good idea or is that just overkill? I would prefer to only do this once.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
31 spline is what you would want unless your going high up. our 800 hp drag car is 33 spline, that would be overkill on a basically bolt on gt

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that all I would need? Just the diff and the axles? Should I get anything else with it? And if they are about the same price, is it always better to go a higher spline?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
if they are the same price it wouldnt hurt, but i have yet to see a 33 spline kit that price. the kit comes with the frpp diff, moser axles and 10 wheel studs. you will need fluid, a master install kit and gears if you want to put those in at the same time

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
if you havent already id do some suspension upgrades also, to help lighten it up and help her launch if thats what you want

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
master install kit has the bearings and shims for install in the diff. the master kit also comes with new axle bearings.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
for suspension, i would at least do lower control arms

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
the stock ones are just stamped steal. they flex and dont let you put powet to the ground. after market are a lot stronger and help plant the power. also prevent wheel hop

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts