Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to start my first serious project. I'm going to have my engine built for boost. Here's the issue, I can get a new MMR 950 5.0 stroker short block with a billet oil pump, UPR head stud kit, main bolt kit and side bolt kit, a windage tray and upgraded head gaskets made for high boost. All that balanced and assembled with a warranty. Or there is a local guy with a built Mach 1 long block with eagle rods, pistons and crank in a 5.0 stroker set up, with fully ported heads and intake. This guy wants to return his car to stock and sell it. Issue is, the guy started his engine on a cold morning and revved it way high and dropped 2 intake valves. The guy that's going to be building the engine for me did the clean up work on this other one. If this guy wants to sell me his long block for mine plus a couple thousand, is it worth the risk of no warranty?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
that is a conondrum

id rather go new

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Nothing beats a warranty imo

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
If thats your options definatly get the new one. I would say option 3 would be get a fully balanced and forged rotating assembly and get it done yourself. But if u don't want to takle an engine build definatly get the new short block.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the heads and intake are CNC ported fully, throughout. The builder said he could see port work all the way through the intake. Buying a Ported intake online is gonna cost a grand on it's own, and the heads are the same... But it's got no warranty... I'm still debating on what I want to do... If I buy this used engine, I could affor to get long tubes and a tubular k-member kit... And still have some money left over to go towards the F1-A that I want... But no warranty.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If thats your options definatly get the new one. I would say option 3 would be get a fully balanced and forged rotating assembly and get it done yourself. But if u don't want to takle an engine build definatly get the new short block.

I don't have the tools or space necessary to do it on my own. I could if there were some people in this town that wanted to help. And by help I mean do it for me while I hold the flash light! Plus this is my only ride, so I can't have it sitting around in pieces because I'm unable to finish the job.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
then just take your intake and get it fully ported, itll be cheaper, and nothing beats a warranty, its nice to know everythings covered

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
if i didnt have a warranty on my mach i wouldve been out almost a grand already from 2nd blowing out

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Better yet send me your intake and me and sweet2k will p&p it for a good deal. I would help ya if you lived closer. But I know what you mean. Are they charging you a core charge for your old shortblock?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better yet send me your intake and me and sweet2k will p&p it for a good deal. I would help ya if you lived closer. But I know what you mean. Are they charging you a core charge for your old shortblock?
I wish I could... It would take too long to get it back though. No core charge, the builder buys from MMR at cost, and the stroker 950 shortblock with all the upgrades is under $3900... Then labor costs... It would save me a couple grand on the engine, then some more in labor costs to just swap my motor out... But again, no warranty...

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I might be interested in your old motor if you aren't going to use it. send me a price quote if you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll do that. It does have 58k miles right now though, and I ran about 8 bottles of nitrous through it. But it's still a solid motor right now. It's only gonna be at best a used shortblock.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Thats fine. I just want it so I don't have any down time when I build my car. I would just use your block to put my internals in, plus I want your forged crank:D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow up question... I had someone tell me that a stroker motor was no good for a blower application. I thought the main thing to watch was the compressin ratios? Some one tell me this person was not too bright on the ways of the stroker...

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
For the most part all you want to do is get the optimum comp. ratio. Too high and you can't run enough boost, too low and you have to run a lot of boost to make power. I would think having a stroker motor would be bad but me personaly I would rather have the rev-ability of the stock stroke motor. The key is to set up the motor to make the best torque curve possible. You want the boost to pour on early and maintain a high flat power curve and hold the power as long as possible. I could go either way on whether or not I would go with a stroker motor. However with a lot of boost and power and revving the **** out of it with a stroker motor, the side load on the cylinder due to rod angle is gonna be increased.

·
Registered
12 Posts
no question, get the new motor. Buy a used throttle body or set of wheels, not a used engine. I'm sure the engine could be fine, many people by used engines and come out okay. But why risk it if you have to spend another 5 grand later on to replace it because something unforseen happened?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, thats a tough one. Will the warranty still be there after the procharger?
Yes, the engine is warrantied to 950hp. It will be covered if the internals fail with less than that hp put on them.

I think I'm gonna be gettin the new one. Never heard back from the guy with the other engine, and it's nice to have all new parts and a warranty!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New choices...

Someone said that a stroker motor wasn't a good combo for a s/c... I've never heard this before. What about anyone else here?

The new choice is a high compression engine trying to maxamize hp n/a, and then some nitrous on top of that. I've run nitrous before, and I really enjoy that. But I kinda wanted to do something new...

The deciding factor will be streetability with a small influence coming from costs... Let me have your opinions!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts