Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cruising in overdrive I'm feeling slight hesitations. Has anyone else experienced this?

'02 GT
Automatic trans
50k mi

·
Registered
748 Posts
if im not mistaken there isnt OD in 99-04 its a 4speed trans that has a best of a 1:1 4th gear. (that aside)

things to check...
1. trans fluid level and condition
(you can tel alot just by trans fluid level and condition)
(check with ATF warm--foot on brake and shift gears[P,R,N,D]--this gets the correct reading/level in the pan bc fluid will be in all passages & orifices)
(is the level good...too low?)
(color of trans fluid--pure fresh red? dark red? brownish? red w/ yellow haze? black?)
(at 50K most vehicles are due for a trans service. but dont get just the major where u get only a pan drain, like 6 atf, filter, and gasket. get the filter and gasket replaced. pan will get drained. but also request a trans flush. alot of debris and burnt up clutch pack particles are still within the trans. a full flush/exchange with new filter and gasket will will make the trans last longer, and alleviate any possible trans complaints due to soft shifts and dirty fluid.)
2. bad gas this time around?
3. possibly clogged/restricted fuel lines
(fuel filter, lines, injectors---maube its time for a fuel filter and some injector cleaning---preferably a cleaner that connects at the schrader valve fitting. this way u pull the fuel pump relay--fuel pump is disbled--and the car runs off the cleaner which cleans the rails and injectors better than any additive put in the gas tank)
4. throttle plate sticking/dirty
(get some carb/choke/throttle clean--they all work trust me--no harm--and spray the throttle body down--plate and housing--wipe clean with a rag)

just a few places to start off the top of my head....but if its trans related the fluid will tell alot.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
4th is 0.70:1 on the autos--I.e. it's an overdrive...

·
Registered
748 Posts
oo. ok so. i thought it was non overdirve trans with a best of 1:1....learn somethign new everyday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shutting off overdrive uses too much gas. It does go away when you mash on it. Going to try changing the trans fluid tomorrow

·
Registered
748 Posts
ok if it goes away or is reduced once you stomp the gas....it may be low atf....the trans will let the line pressure build higher if you stomp the gas rather than you are cruising. before draining it look at the fluid. buy a quart of atf and smell fresh atf...then smell the atf in your car...does it look or smell burnt? (dark in color from age...or very dark due to possible wear of the fiber clutches and band)(lite/clear in color or yellowish tint...possible water intrusion or conditioner thats in the fluid--if theres water intrusion youd notice some hints of rust forming some where low on the dipstick though)

been doing alot of transmissions lately at work...hence my details

·
Registered
35 Posts
The hesitation you are feeling is normal for the vehicle . What you are feeling is your tq convertor locking and unlocking . While this is annoying it is not at all harmfull to your transmission. As long as your fluid is correct (mercon 5) and at the proper full level (check as described above) . I being a Ford trans tech would reccommend atleast a trans flush at 50k . If the vehicle has been regurarly serviced a filter is not necessary untill 100k . Even then I have disassembled transmissions that still look new internally with proper flushing. Now the repair. There are a few things that can be doneo repairhis concern the easiest by far is to add 1 pint of friction modifier to the trans and drive the vehice for about 200 miles this will work it way into the convertor and help lubrcate the clutches therfore easing the engaugement of the convertor clutches on lockup . This is what we do on cust cars to help trhe concern. The next alternative is a good v/b or atleast a shift kit . Superior is the co I reccommend for shift kits because part of there process includes enlaging the feed hole for the front allowing more flow reducing convertor clutch lock up time . There are several good co 's that make v/b 's out there do your research and pick one. and finally the trans parameters can be adjusted in a good tune ie sniper, sct, diablo Hope any of this help Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok if it goes away or is reduced once you stomp the gas....it may be low atf....the trans will let the line pressure build higher if you stomp the gas rather than you are cruising. before draining it look at the fluid. buy a quart of atf and smell fresh atf...then smell the atf in your car...does it look or smell burnt? (dark in color from age...or very dark due to possible wear of the fiber clutches and band)(lite/clear in color or yellowish tint...possible water intrusion or conditioner thats in the fluid--if theres water intrusion youd notice some hints of rust forming some where low on the dipstick though)

been doing alot of transmissions lately at work...hence my details
Thanks alot. Doing the trans in the morning. I'll def check that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no problem... you got a chevy trans tech (me) and a ford trans tech here (crod02).
The race shop said that there was a part laying in the bottom of my trans pan. He described it as plastic with an o-ring and doesn't know what it is.

·
Registered
748 Posts
first thing coming to mind at the moment (in chevy)...in our 4L60E....(pickups/tahoes)..there is a plastic spacer/washer that the front pump lays on/rides on so that there is someclearance. without it the front pump would sit lower or the forward clutch assembly could move back and forth eeven if engaged. meaning the forward band or internal clutch packs would be fighting to stay together (completely mesh) while they are moving away form one another. possibly. or it could be the washer/seal for the neck of the trans filter. gonna think of other possibilities once i post this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He explained it as sort of a plastic mushroom, with an o ring around the top of the cap, and a hole bored into the top op it.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
He explained it as sort of a plastic mushroom, with an o ring around the top of the cap, and a hole bored into the top op it.
that is a plug ford puts in the dipstick tube hole,when they put the tube in it push's the plug in the pan,no big deal. if your getting a surge at steady throttle you probably are having a lean missfire,or secondary ign miss,replace your plugs and check

·
Registered
35 Posts
The plug they found in the bottom of the pan is a fill plug from the factory. they use the plug because at the factory they build the units then fill them with fluid to psi test each one to verify line pressure and proper shifting on a trans dyno then they install that plug you found to stop all the fluid from coming out on the assembly line . once the trans is installed in the vehicle they install the dipstick tube and that pushes the plug in the pan. the plug being there tells me your pan has never been off and your filter has never been changed Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that is a plug ford puts in the dipstick tube hole,when they put the tube in it push's the plug in the pan,no big deal. if your getting a surge at steady throttle you probably are having a lean missfire,or secondary ign miss,replace your plugs and check
Word...That's exactly what it was.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The hesitation you are feeling is normal for the vehicle . What you are feeling is your tq convertor locking and unlocking . While this is annoying it is not at all harmfull to your transmission. As long as your fluid is correct (mercon 5) and at the proper full level (check as described above) . I being a Ford trans tech would reccommend atleast a trans flush at 50k . If the vehicle has been regurarly serviced a filter is not necessary untill 100k . Even then I have disassembled transmissions that still look new internally with proper flushing. Now the repair. There are a few things that can be doneo repairhis concern the easiest by far is to add 1 pint of friction modifier to the trans and drive the vehice for about 200 miles this will work it way into the convertor and help lubrcate the clutches therfore easing the engaugement of the convertor clutches on lockup . This is what we do on cust cars to help trhe concern. The next alternative is a good v/b or atleast a shift kit . Superior is the co I reccommend for shift kits because part of there process includes enlaging the feed hole for the front allowing more flow reducing convertor clutch lock up time . There are several good co 's that make v/b 's out there do your research and pick one. and finally the trans parameters can be adjusted in a good tune ie sniper, sct, diablo Hope any of this help Chris
Well I changed the fluid and the filter in the trans, and still getting the hesitations. How can thios be normal? It's EXTREMELY annoying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts