Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a local guy with a good rep install the headers for me but since then i have noticed some slop in the steering wheel.i notice it most on the highway where long strait aways come often.its getting annoying and it kinda freaks me out in wet weather.anything i can do to fix it?

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
My first thought would be the bolts may be loose on the steering shaft, then maybe the tie rod endlinks are going bad, and third your ball joints could be going out.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Check your steering linkage. Many disconnect this to make it easier to get the headers in. Maybe it was not reinstalled correctly.

·
Noob
828 Posts
I had the same problem. Definitely check those steering shaft bolts first.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! ill give the bolts a look see.i have no idea what the linkage is though.i cant see it being the ball joints or anything like that,everything was fine before the headers

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i bet you put the bolt in the wrong way. i did the same thing and it had about and inch of play.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Check your steering linkage. Many disconnect this to make it easier to get the headers in. Maybe it was not reinstalled correctly.
This.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bet you put the bolt in the wrong way. i did the same thing and it had about and inch of play.
wasnt me but im sure i woulda screwed it up a lot worse.how do you go about putting a bolt on wrong though?

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
wasnt me but im sure i woulda screwed it up a lot worse.how do you go about putting a bolt on wrong though?

Through the wrong side. Put the head of the bolt coming from the other side where the other end of it is now.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
wasnt me but im sure i woulda screwed it up a lot worse. how do you go about putting a bolt on wrong though?
because the threads are only on one side of the steering shaft so it will still allow the bolt to get tight, but it won't actually be tight to the shaft because the bolt itself isn't threaded the entire length.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
The two bolts are located by your brake pedal... check out dimora's lt header install thread, goes through it pretty damn good!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I just got around to mine today with the exact same issue. I swapped the bolt around and fixed the problem. Just for future reference.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
because the threads are only on one side of the steering shaft so it will still allow the bolt to get tight, but it won't actually be tight to the shaft because the bolt itself isn't threaded the entire length.
Exactly...try removing the bolt and put it through the other side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts