Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to bracket race for the first time this year. This was the first time I've been to the track since installing my suspension goodies (baddies?). My previous best was a 8.32 with a 1.72 60' time. I was hoping for 8.2x with a 1.6x short time. The temperature at the time of my best run was about 72. Saturday night it was 88 at the track and cooling off to the low 70s by the end of the night, but the humidity went up. Not sure about the DA.

I got there early so I'd have several runs to figure out my suspension before eliminations started. Perfect reaction time is .500.

I'll include my suspension/tire settings with my timeslips. Have Strange 10-way adjustable shocks, Hoosier 26x9x15 drag slicks, and a drag bag in the right rear.

1st Time Trial

Code:
Shocks    5
Tires     15 psi
Air Bag   10 psi

R/T        .562
60'       1.796
1/8 ET    8.507
1/8 MPH   81.37
This was much slower than I expected. My buddy said it didn't look like it was transferring the weight very well, so we started monkeying with suspension settings. Went softer on the shocks and let some air out of the tires.

2nd Time Trial

Code:
Shocks    2
Tires     12 psi
Air Bag   10 psi

R/T        .473
60'       1.819
1/8 ET    8.586
1/8 MPH   80.81
This was even slower, so we tried to go the other way with the shocks to see if that made a difference.

3rd Time Trial

I missed a gear on this run, so I omitted the ET and MPH.

Code:
Shocks    7
Tires     12 psi
Air Bag   10 psi

R/T        .555
60'       1.842
60' time was worse still. My buddy said it looked like the right tire was hooking and the left tire was spinning. It occurred to me that the airbag might be keeping the right tire planted a little too well, so I let some air out of the bag for the next run and put the shocks back where they were.

Final Time Trial

I got a pretty cool picture and a video from this run.

Code:
Shocks    5
Tires     12 psi
Air Bag   5 psi

R/T        .549
60'       1.820
1/8 ET    8.593
1/8 MPH   80.32

Both tires hooked pretty well this run and when they caught, they bogged the motor a little, so we went back up with the tire pressure a bit for the first round of eliminations.

Eliminations Round 1

Code:
Me                   Opponent

Shocks    5          
Tires     14 psi
Air Bag   10 psi

Dial In   8.60       7.97
R/T        .507       .527
60'       1.817      1.868
1/8 ET    8.876      8.313
1/8 MPH   67.35      84.42

WIN .088045
My opponent here was a special breed of idiot. He was leaking transmission fluid on the starting line and the track officials didn't see it in time to get him stopped. When he took off, his car started BILLOWING smoke. I could see it in the rear-view mirror long before I looked back to try to locate him. Despite it being painfully obvious that he was broken, he ran it anyway. He wasn't anywhere close to catching me, so I hit the brakes pretty hard to make sure I didn't break out. He laid a nice line of transmission fluid all the way down the track and shut us down for an hour.

Eliminations Round 2

Code:

Shocks    5          
Tires     14 psi
Air Bag   10 psi

BREAKOUT
Dial In   8.60       6.41
R/T        .516       .529
60'       1.842      1.339
1/8 ET    8.703      6.406
1/8 MPH   79.80      102.04

WIN .095809
I put a little pressure on this guy with my reaction time, so he had to chase me down a little. My car couldn't run the number, but I got lucky and he took way too much stripe and broke out.

Eliminations Round 3

Code:

Shocks    5          
Tires     14 psi
Air Bag   10 psi

Dial In   8.68       6.77
R/T        .519       .582
60'       1.858      1.477
1/8 ET    8.762      6.803
1/8 MPH   75.63      97.61

WIN .013930
I killed this guy on the tree, hit the brakes and cut 4 mph at the finish line to take the win.

Eliminations Round 4

Code:

Shocks    5          
Tires     14 psi
Air Bag   10 psi

Dial In   8.69       7.80
R/T        .530       .560
60'       1.851      1.638
1/8 ET    8.699      7.818
1/8 MPH   79.94      85.84

WIN .037255
This was an awesome race. I ran dead on with a 9 and my opponent ran 1 off his number. Went up to the other guy after we got back to the pits and congratulated him on a good race.

Eliminations Round 5

Code:

Shocks    5          
Tires     14 psi
Air Bag   10 psi

Dial In   8.69       7.15
R/T        .537       .529
60'       1.865      1.619
1/8 ET    8.722      7.183
1/8 MPH   79.21      90.72

WIN .007083
This guy is really good. He's leading the points in footbrake at our track. He had several numbers in his pocket and he was braking long before he ever caught me. He passed me and then jammed the brakes even harder. I have no idea why...but when he did I lifted for a split second (not even enough to cut 1 mph) and he beat me by 0.007. I should have won this race and gone on to the quarter finals.

I was ready to drive the car into a river after the time trials, but it's amazing what winning some rounds will do for you. This was the first time I've gone past the 3rd round and the first time I've finished in the money, so I was pretty happy with the evening. I've been trying to improve my finish line racing and I had several chances this weekend and made the right decisions a couple of times and the wrong decision once.

I'm going to take the car to a shop to make sure we set the pinion angle correctly and if we didn't I'll get them to set it between -1 and -1.5 to see if maybe that's why the car slowed down. I will probably also try bumping up the RPMs that I leave at (maybe to 5300) to see if that will keep it from bogging and pick it back up some. If anyone else has any opinions as to why the car slowed down so much I'm all ears.

Cliff's Notes: Installed rear suspension. Car slowed down from 8.32 to 8.50. Going to check pinion angle to make sure that's not the problem and probably throw some more RPMs at it next time. Went 5 rounds in eliminations anyway.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sweet, nice runs...I have to ask about your set up as my 1/8 mph is pretty close to yours but my time is much slower. What gears are u running? Also are those the Hoosier QTP's, what size? Do you have stock 28 spline axles? Nice pic from a dig you got.. Is your car n/a? What mods to you have. I'd love to pull some 8.5x times..Never mind i saw all the stuff in your garage, I need me some 31 splines and a gear. I have a set of 26x8.5 MT ET Drags but have not used them on this car due the stock gears and axles...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, nice runs...I have to ask about your set up as my 1/8 mph is pretty close to yours but my time is much slower. What gears are u running? Also are those the Hoosier QTP's, what size? Do you have stock 28 spline axles? Nice pic from a dig you got.. Is your car n/a? What mods to you have. I'd love to pull some 8.5x times..
If your mph is similar, but ET is slower that generally means you're having traction issues. What tires are you running?

I have 3.73s. Tires are are full slicks (26x9x15 Hoosier Drag Slicks). I have a 31-spline Detroit TrueTrac with Alloy USA Axles. Car is n/a. Full mod list is in my garage.

I was in the 8.30s before installing my rear suspension. I think my pinion angle is off or something cause suspension shouldn't have slowed me down at all...much less 2 tenths.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My best 1/8 was 8.83 @82.91 on a 1.99 60 using some buddies 235/60/15 MT DR's. I'm sure a gear would help my 60 times. You recommend any suspension mods for better launchs? Mine is stock now except for the Eibach lowering springs and CC plates, I know that is no help at all for draggin..You ever ran her out the 1/4?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My best 1/8 was 8.83 @82.91 on a 1.99 60 using some buddies 235/60/15 MT DR's. I'm sure a gear would help my 60 times. You recommend any suspension mods for better launchs? Mine is stock now except for the Eibach lowering springs and CC plates, I know that is no help at all for draggin..You ever ran her out the 1/4?
I'm not in a position to recommend any suspension stuff until I figure out why suspension slowed mine down. lol

I ran it in the 1/4 during a time trial at Bowling Green last year. I think it was a 13.8-something. That was before skinny fronts, gears, and a bunch of other stuff. If I can get it back into the 8.30-range, it should run 12.9-13.0 now.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Double check your pinion angle per the baseline instructions. also make sure that your LCA bolts are close to the same distance from the ground. What RPM are you launching at? some it the problem could have also been track prep

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Double check your pinion angle per the baseline instructions. also make sure that your LCA bolts are close to the same distance from the ground. What RPM are you launching at? some it the problem could have also been track prep
Yeah, I'm going to have the pinion angle checked. Going to drop the car off at a shop tomorrow. I wasn't there when my buddy set the pinion angle. He said he thinks it's between -1.5 and -2. If that's the case, it needs to be adjusted. Baseline says -1 to -1.5.

I cut 1/2 coil off of the rear springs and measured the LCA holes. The rear hole is about 5/16" lower than the front. I could have cut a little more, but the 1/2 coil dropped the car more than I thought it would and I was hesitant to go lower.

I was leaving at 4800. I was going to try going up to about 5300, but eliminations started before I got the chance.

I don't think it was the track prep. My buddy's 68 Cobra ran 6 straight 5.72s and was having no problem hooking up.

Additional thoughts?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
pinion angle doesnt sound to far off if thats what it is, mines at -2* your launch rpms def should be higher

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pinion angle doesnt sound to far off if thats what it is, mines at -2* your launch rpms def should be higher
Are the LCA bolts within acceptable limits or do I need to cut about 1/4 coil off?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Are the LCA bolts within acceptable limits or do I need to cut about 1/4 coil off?
your fine if the rear is higher, when the front is higher is where you have problems.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your fine if the rear is higher, when the front is higher is where you have problems.
The rear is currently lower by 5/16". Just wasn't sure if that was close enough or if I needed to cut some more.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
The rear is currently lower by 5/16". Just wasn't sure if that was close enough or if I needed to cut some more.
your right I was tired last night. the rear should be lower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts